MY TIMING BELT BROKE AGAIN, OIL PRESSURE

2000 Mazda Protege

dlane81

February, 4, 2009 AT 1:49 PM

2000 Mazda Protege 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 160k miles

I was recently driving my protege when the oil pressure light began to flicker and then came on soild. I checked and then changed the oil. The next few days the light came on sporatically, then solid, and the engine stopped. I checked and the timing belt was sheared around the crankshaft and not spinning the camshafts. I then replaced the timing belt and noticed the inside camshaft was very hard to turn the 2nd camshaft turned easily with a wrench. I read that this is a non interference engine so I dont belive a valve could have been bent. I then replaced the timing belt and the engine ran fine for 10 miles then the oil pressure light started flickering again, then solid, then the car stopped again. I suspect the timing belt broke again. What could be causing this? Is the camshaft being hard to turn indicative of the problem?

obxautomedic

February, 4, 2009 AT 2:15 PM

If your oil light was coming on then you should have check the oil like you did, but since it came on again you should have had the oil pressure checked. Your Oil Pump is the Most likely cause of you engine failure. With the light flickering you had low oil pressure, which could be why one cam was harder to turn than the other.

.

dlane81

February, 4, 2009 AT 9:13 PM

Thanks. How can I properly check the oil pressure? I have heard of a gauge that you screw in after pulling out the oil pressure switch but have been unable to find this gauge. Are there any other tests? Also do you have a diagram of the oil pump and removal/replacement instructions?

Thanks,
Derek

obxautomedic

February, 5, 2009 AT 5:33 PM

Hi Derek,

You will need to either purchase or see if you local auto parts store rents tools or a tool rental center and ask for an Oil Pressure Tester. This is the only accurate test.

I can get the diagrams will need Sub Model and Engine Size in Liters.

.

dlane81

February, 6, 2009 AT 3:02 PM

Thanks again. Its a Protege LX 1.6L DOHC

obxautomedic

February, 6, 2009 AT 3:05 PM

Here is the info...

You can press your "CTRL" key and the "+" key to zoom in for easier reading....

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_2000protegelx16oilpumptext_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_2000protegelx16oilpump_1.jpg

.

dlane81

February, 10, 2009 AT 3:24 PM

Thanks is perfect. One last question. Do you know where I can buy the oil pump. I have searched everywhere and cannot find this oil pump for 2000. I have found it for 1999 and it looks the same. Hopefully I dont have to go through the dealer. Do you have any affilates that may carry it?

Derek

obxautomedic

February, 10, 2009 AT 4:56 PM

Hi Derek,

Unfortunately I believe you are going to the dealer. I checked all my connections and only showing oil pan and drain plug.

.

Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Tundra
Air Filter Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW 5 Series