1996 Mazda Protege timing marks for this engine.

LAZERJETL
  • 1996 MAZDA PROTEGE
1996 Mazda Protege 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Hi, I'm trying to find the timing marks for this 1.5l DOHC engine.
Should I be using the Z mark/2 notches or the I and E letters on each camshaft sprocket?

I have aligned the crankshaft to the oil pan marking. Now I have to figure out which cam markings to use.

In the Haynes manual as with others it is not clear.

Thanks,

Lee
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 8:15 AM

See below-Good Luck

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_tm_1.jpg

+5
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 8:20 AM
LAZERJETL
Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. I have a twin cam arrangement so how does one align the markings. Match the I and E's or use the notches on the sprockets or a combination of both?

The markings are like the haynes book arrangement. I have tried the 1.8 DOHC and the engine almost ran. But was very rough. So those markings seem close.

Hope to hear from you,

Thanks,

Lee
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 2:15 PM
LAZERJETL

Hope to hear from you,

Thanks,

Lee[/quote:74412a63f1]

Well I managed to figure it out. Seems if your using the Haynes manual and use figure 7.41e which is the 1.6l DOHC arrangement the markings will work with the 1.5l variant also. I added an extra tooth position below the markings on both sprockets to block markings. Left the tension spring bolt slightly loose and cranked the engine.

After a little reluctance the engine started and ran.

So TDC on the crankshaft and distributor to #1 sparkplug, then do the cams to block markings and things will work.

Thanks for getting back to me. Tho I don't have a single or chain cam arrangement.

Lee
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 9:44 PM