Will an aftermarket amplifier cause a PCM to go bad?

FLUKIE82
  • MAZDA

Hi, I have a Mazda 3 2005 AT, 2.3L, 20k mileage model, that started to be sluggish almost suddenly. It was not able to get into 2nd gear and there is a sudden loss of power and rough idle. (Getting from 1st to 2nd required me to take off my foot from the accelerator momentarily and makes a crackling noise). I got a P0134 code on OBD II, but had no luck after changing the O2 sensor.

I brought it to the dealer who refused to diagnose it because it has an aftermarket amp connection that was cut. I did not know abt this as I bought the car used. They are implying that the PCM is 90% shot due to possible shorts in the cut wire that resulted in spikes entering the power lines of the PCM. Is this possible? I'd love to get a second opinion as the dealers are asking for a lot of $$ to even diagnose it further. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance! :(

Wednesday, April 4th, 2007 AT 3:59 AM

PEPPERMRJ

Find a diffewrent dealer or an independent with even just a decent scan machine!

http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/avoid_car_repair.htm

Wednesday, April 4th, 2007 AT 9:00 AM