2004 Mazda MPV coils

LAURABLONG
  • 2004 MAZDA MPV
2004 Mazda MPV 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

In the past 4 months my van has been in the shop 6 times for coil replacements. They keep telling me this is a common problem and they are like light bulbs. They frequently can go out. But I can't pay $180 every time my car needs a new coil. I took it in last week for a coil, and it started doing the same thing again 5 days later. They tell me it is a different coil this time. Is this common? Why has this NEVER happened on any other car I have owned?
Thursday, December 25th, 2008 AT 10:16 AM

HUNBRATAN
Mine also does this. Mine is a 2004 with 100,000 miles. It seems to start missing after a heavy rain. Does this seem to be your case? My husband replaced mine, though, not the mechanic. The coil cost about $90. It's not very easy to get to the coils, though.
Monday, January 5th, 2009 AT 5:51 PM
LAURABLONG
I just spoke to the dealership again today. They said once again that it is probably another coil going bad. Yes, mine started doing this again everytime it rains. The dealership acts like this is common and tells me these things go out frequently and don't have any expected life span. They are electrical and can go out whenever. I just think it is a Mazda thing. I will never buy a Mazda again. I have driven other cars for 150,000 miles for 8 years and never had a coil go out. Especially 5 coils within 39,000. Since my van only has 6 coils, I figure I should only have one more to go before they have all been replaced. Then, I expect them to last another 40,000. Like that will ever happen.
Tuesday, January 6th, 2009 AT 12:34 PM
HUNBRATAN
Did you ask the dealership why it seems to do it after it rains? That doesn't make sense to me. Mine is sitting still now, because it's acting up. It's been raining for several days, I cranked it yesterday to go into town, and it started missing before I ever put it into gear. Very strange.
Tuesday, January 6th, 2009 AT 1:42 PM
LAURABLONG
The dealership said that it is another coil getting ready to go out and you will start to notice this more when it rains. When I start my van while it is raining, it will start to shake a little and then the engine light comes on. It is still driveable, it just shakes a little. The next time I start it, if it is not raining, the engine light will still be on, but it will run fine. The next day, without rain, it will run fine and the light will go off. They act like I am crazy and I should understand how this is common.
Tuesday, January 6th, 2009 AT 3:22 PM