1998 Mazda MPV alignment bad after repairing brakes

COASTER52
  • 1998 MAZDA MPV
I have a few issues. I replaced the rear pads and one rear rotor, and the brakes worked well after that. Then. Replaced the front pads and the car now pulls to the right, the pedal isn't as tight and there is a slight knock sound when pushing on the brakes.
I have tried bleeding the brakes several times to fix the squishier pedal. And it works, but not as well as it did before.
I noticed the bushings around the sway arm(not sure of actual name) are worn.
Any ideas/comments?
Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 7:25 AM

JACK42
If it pulls to the right, the left front caliper may not be working. Try stopping the car afew times, then lightly misting water on the rotors to see which side is hotter. The hot side is most likely working. DO NOT touch the rotors or you will burn your fingers. Sometimes the piston in thecaliper can get jammed and cause what you are describing. The sway bar end bushing wont cause the vehicle to pull on braking. Were therotors machined? Was there any damage to one of the front rotors?
Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 7:31 AM
COASTER52
Hi, Thanks for your response. I think the front rotors are ok, but perhaps they should be turned?
I will try the water thing and check caliper.
Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 7:41 AM
JACK42
Turning rotors has always been a topic of debate. Personally I turn every set, every brake job to ensure a true, fresh mating surface for the new pads
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 8:18 AM
COASTER52
I failed to mention that the car pulls to the right when driving, not when braking. Does this make a difference with the advice you gave? Also, I hear a slight knocking sound when I brake sometimes, could this be the piston/caliper issue also? Thanks
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 9:29 AM
JACK42
The brake may not be releasing, causing the pull when driving. Drive the vehicle until it pulls, then stop and lift and support the front end, spin the wheels to see if one brake is dragging. Checking the temp can also tell you if one wheel is hotter than the other as if it is dragging. If one wheel is, try looseining the bleeder screw on the dragging caliper and see if the brakes let go. If not go to where the rubber line attaches to the body and try loosening it there, If that works the brake hose may need replacing.
Sunday, April 4th, 2010 AT 12:39 PM