Lower part of wheel assembly scrapping into inner part of rim

BLW_LOVER22
  • 1998 DODGE STRATUS
I have had this problem for some time and it keeps getting worse, when I turn left or right, at a certain point a very nasty, loud grinding noise comes from the front left tire. After driving it like this for some time, it started making it also while going over a hill, releasing stress from the tires somehow affected it too. At this point I was getting nervous about just driving it. So I tell my dad about it and we remove the tire, trying to find what it is scraping, I look on the inside of the rim, and a very deep gash going the entire size of the inner rim all around it. So we looked around where the tire would be when positioned back, there was a small metal bracket that seemed to just sit under the ball joint or lower control arm. I don't know if the bushing or whatever has wore out, creating it to sag and now scrape. But it got so bad, we just cut the very thin bracket that seemed to do nothing but be a warning mechanism for the part going bad, and now there is no noise. I know its not a very good idea and I need to know what the problem is so I can just fix it. Obviously from my mileage and methods of fixing I do not have a lot of money. But I can get it fixed. I just don't want to pay too many people to look at it and tell me its a hundred different things. Someone please help.
Tuesday, May 13th, 2014 AT 1:28 PM

Check the wheel bearing sounds like it is worn out
Tuesday, May 13th, 2014 AT 3:24 PM