TOWNCAR "EATS" EGR VALVES

Lincoln Town Car

drthom

June, 6, 2007 AT 12:07 PM

My 2nd. Hand 1994 Lincoln Towncar, 4.6L, has 244k miles on it, runs great, and gets good MPG! On the other hand, the local dealership service has replaced the EGR valve/tube assembly three times in only 50k miles! This is always the remedy when the Check Engine light has stayed on. Does this year/model have a history of inadequate EGR components, recall related alerts, or other known issues related to this EGR problem? Is the computer command module known to provide faulty data codes? Or, are the service techs simply replacing the EGR assembly to get the engine check light to cancel and reset? This costs me about $700. Per fix, two days without my car, and a deep disaffection for the Check Engine light.

Egr Valve

merlin2021

June, 19, 2007 AT 5:33 PM

Sounds like you gotta find an honest mechanic. The local dealer aint makin it!
Next time if you have any know how, clean the port under the egr valve with a piece of wire coathanger. Push it all the way thru to the throttle plate. The port is clogging with carbon. Just my humble opinion!
TSB Title: EGR - Intermittent MIL ON/Multiple DTC's Set 96234 11/04/96 Go to another dealer or call Ford directly and get them involved! They like to find out about crooked dealers.