95 Lincoln Town Car Suspension System

WKNORRIS
  • 1995 LINCOLN TOWN CAR
The check air suspension system light has come on for the 95 Lincoln Town Car and the air springs are no longer working. The car is riding low. Is this something that I can fix or repair or is this a shop fix? Any suggestions?
Friday, March 10th, 2006 AT 7:06 AM

PEPPERMRJ
If memory serves me the town car has rear air bags and conventonal struts/springs in the front.
Ten years is about the average life span of the rear air bags.
Will the compressor still raise the car? Does it ride low all the time or just sink overnight?
Being that you are getting a check air light I'll bet the compressor is toast.

To replace the whole air (2 bags, compressor and misc, ) setup (aftermarket) will run about $350.00 in parts. The aftermarket airbags have a lifetime warranty. A conversion to rear coil springs will run around $200.00 for parts.

[i:d2b7593d4a]Good time for new shocks.[/I:d2b7593d4a]

The air system is a fairly easy replacement requiring a few hand tools, jack, and jack stands.

The spring conversion is somewhat more difficult. It requires the same tools and an additional jack and jack stand. There are a few more steps in the process also.

Now I will give you my opinion having done the conversion on a 1985 continental. I miss the air springs. The conversion does not give the same ultra plush ride. It also does not adjust to a full load of folks. Three adults in the rear and it sits a little too low for my taste. I went to the conversion primarly due to age and the fact that the conti has 4 airbags. My compressor was shot and I the thoughts of finding the air ride computer for that car was not pleasant. Towncars are so much more readily available at the recycle yard. They are also much more interchangeable when it comes to parts and year.

Check out this link. It will give you an idea of price and procedure. There are several other aftermarket suppliers not to mention OEM. Post back if you want a few more links.

Good luck and let us know. :)
+1
Friday, March 10th, 2006 AT 4:32 PM
NOS
Make sure the switch in the trunk is turned on. Go to the passanger side under the hood and check your fusses a blown fuse will not let the compressor come on if you do have a blow fuse suspect a bad compressor. The compressor is located on the driverside finderwell I think under the washer bottle there is a drain in that box and I gets colleged up with dabre and in some cases with water cause it can't drain and it shorts the compressor motor which will blow the fuse. The dump valves on the airbags go bad and will release the air all the time whice will overwork the compressor andalso blow fuses hope this helps. ( NOS )
+1
Wednesday, March 15th, 2006 AT 9:29 PM