2006 Lincoln Town Car Cranks, won't start

CLASSICBILL
  • 2006 LINCOLN TOWN CAR
Cranks, will not start. Checked fuel pressure-48PSI; power to all COP's and injectors; Checked all fuses-ok!Sometimes it sounds like it wants to start. Originally, while running, it was misfiring and Check Engine Light was on; Pulled Code p0301 (misfire on #1); cleared code. Started vehicle again and ran fine; next day went to start vehicle- cranked but wouldn't start (no trouble codes set in memory). Checked power to Fuel pump-ok! Checked power at Crankshaft Position Sensor- could not get power (may have been ground I was using). Tried starting with Starting Fluid- would not kick in the least) I don't think this is a mechanical problem. Where do I start, and what diagnostic procedure should I use to ascertain problem?
Monday, February 16th, 2009 AT 8:54 AM

RACEFAN966
Ok I need you to check to see if there is any spark to the spark plugs. Pull a spark plug wire and put a screw driver in the end of it and rest it near metal (like valve cover) and crank it and see if there is any spark. If not then we need to test the crank and or cam sensor. Do you have a digital multi meter and are you comfortable enough doing some tests? Get back to me with what you find and what you would like to do.
+1
Monday, February 16th, 2009 AT 10:53 AM
CLASSICBILL
Getting back to you regarding our dialog of Feb 16th-just pushed it back in- will check spark at coil output and forward results
Bill
Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 8:04 AM
CLASSICBILL
Checked spark at coil-no spark; where do I check for voltages at the crankshaft/camshaft sensor sensor? I have both a digital multimeter and just purchased POWER PROBE II - LEAD SET COMBO KIT
+1
Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 8:58 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok I would like to test the coil or coils first then go to the cam and crank sensors. So I need to know if you have a coil pack that all the plug wires go to or if you have an individual coil for each cylinder. Get back to me and we will go from there.
Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 10:23 AM
CLASSICBILL
Racefan966:
Coils are COP
I attached a remote start to starter and turned the key on; I lifted the vehicle and was about to test imput/output voltage at the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor. The wires were proteced in corregated tubing, so I unplugged the connector from the CPS, exposed some of each of the two wires, and plugged back in. I hit the remote starter, and the vehicle started. I shut the vehicle off, unplugged the connector, applied dielectric grease, and plugged the connector back in- turned the key, and it started right up.
I believe that our locale (salt air environment-Cape Cod, MA) and the fact that the vehicle is a limo and has 189,000 miles) led to pigtail connector corrosion, as the sensor is located in the front botton of engine.
Thanks for your help!
Classicbill
billrogers96@yahoo. Com
Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 12:47 PM
RACEFAN966
Great glad to hear that it was something simple and didn't cost much to fix. If you have any other problems feel free to get in touch with me.
+1
Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 8:43 PM