A/C does not get cold

EDENCOOMER
  • 2003 LINCOLN TOWN CAR
Air Conditioning problem V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

I started having problems with the a/c not getting cold right away and now it doesn't get cold at all. The freon is okay but compressor doesn't come on. What would cause this?
Saturday, March 13th, 2010 AT 8:50 AM

MERLIN2021
How do you know the R134a is fully charged? Did you use a manifold gauge set? Most common problem is low charge, which in turn causes the low pressure sensor to keep the compressor from activating. Do a self test and post and codes that display, on 03 and newer, the trace is replaced by the fan speed symbol changing from low to high as the test runs.
The DATC module self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. A scan tool must be used to retrieve these concerns. The DATC module self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display hard diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). Hard DTCs identify faults which are present during the self-test. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4-32 C (40-90 F) when carrying out the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false in- vehicle temperature sensor DTCs will be displayed. The self-test can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self- test is activated. To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed. If any DTCs appear during the self-test, follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION for each DTC given. If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, refer to the Symptom Chart Condition: The DATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation. See SYMPTOM CHART. To exit the self-test and clear all DTCs, press the FRONT DEFROST button. The vacuum fluorescent display window will show 888 and all function symbols for one second. The DATC control assembly will then turn OFF (display blank) and all DTCs will be cleared. Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Dual Automatic Temperature Control Module - Display Continuous Codes This function will display continuous (intermittent) codes and hard faults that occur during normal operation. The display of continuous codes can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the display of continuous codes is activated. Note that " C " will be displayed while in this mode. To display continuous codes, press the OFF and PANEL buttons simultaneously and then release and within two seconds press the AUTO button. To exit the display of continuous codes, press the FRONT DEFROST button. This will exit and clear all DTCs. Press the FLOOR button to exit without clearing DTCs set before the last ignition cycle. Always exit continuous codes display before powering the system down (system turned off). Continuous DTCs are saved only after an ignition cycle. Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent condition occurs. Page 1 of 1 3/13/2010 .
+2
Saturday, March 13th, 2010 AT 10:10 AM
PATUSA
Dear all experience people,
I have 2003 Lincoln Town Car, it's been good with me since I had it brand new but last month the AC had problem and I already try the best to fix it but the compressor is still not engaging, if I connect directly pin 1 and pin 5 of the relay then the compressor was engaging and AC cold but I can't stop the compressor until turn off the engine. I did drove 2 hours in the weather 100F in California to get home. I parked and open the hood OMG the AC line was frozen and cover by the ice so I have took out the wire then the compressor stop working.
Here is all step I did try:

1. Replace 2 switch (low and high pressure)
2. Replace AC relay 204
3. Replace AC temperature sensor (at the firewall near by the last spark plug on bank 1)
4. Full re-charged Freon
5. Replace the climate control
6. Replacement the heater actuator blend door
7. Replacement the panel/defrost actuator blend door
Any body experience with that issue. Please, help me out. Thanks all
Sunday, September 3rd, 2017 AT 10:44 PM
Hi PATUSA. You need to start a new question specific to your vehicle, and please be sure to list the engine size and mileage. Unlike other web sites where anyone can post a reply, these were conversations between just two people. They are now listed as having received a reply, so they go "off the list" and none of the other experts are going to see your addition or have a chance to reply. That won't get you the help you need.

When you list the symptoms, specify which hose has the frost forming on it. That occurs at the point where the liquid is turning to a vapor. You want that to be in the evaporator in the dash. If the system is low on charge, the cooling, (and frost), will occur under the hood in the hose coming in from the condenser. If the system is over-charged, which is worse, the cooling will occur under the hood again, in the hose going to the compressor.

Be aware too that part of how the system works is by forcing the refrigerant through a tiny controlled restriction. If you watch that hose under the hood right after you start the engine, if the frost starts to form in one small area, rather than the entire hose, there is a restriction at that point.
Sunday, September 3rd, 2017 AT 11:12 PM
ABANS
  • 2003 LINCOLN TOWN CAR
Air Conditioning problem V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 87000 miles

Therefore, its not cooling. Checked and found the there is sufficient Freon and the pressure looks okay. The main cooling fan is running normal even when the ac clutch on.
Wednesday, September 13th, 2017 AT 11:59 AM (Merged)
PATUSA
Dear all experience people,

Here is all step I did try:

2. Replace AC relay 204
4. Full re-charged Freon
5. Replace the climate control
KEN
With the engine off can you turn the compressor clutch by hand?

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken
PATUSA
Yes, I can turn it by hand.
KEN
It sounds like you have a climate control module that is out but to be sure lets do some testing. Use this guide and follow these wiring diagrams to see where you loose power at.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken
PATUSA
Thanks Ken.
Unfortunately, there is no power on the compressor's connector other connector as High and low pressure switch has power.
KEN
It sounds like the AC compressor clutch relay is not working. Here is its location (below) and a guide so you can check it out.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Please let us know what happens so it will help others.

Cheers, Ken
PATUSA
Dear Ken,
Thanks for your replying but on my first post the 2nd step is replacement the new relay 204. Do you have or any body have the climate control diagram to test, My climate control wires doesn't have PK/BL wires, so I don't know what pin number that will send the signal to the compressor. Please help.
KEN
In the third wiring diagram it shows a gray and white wire powering the A/C compressor clutch
PATUSA
There is no power at the gray/white wires when turn on the AC.
Wednesday, September 13th, 2017 AT 1:33 PM
KEN
With the key on how many terminals of the relay are getting power? Relay removed
Thursday, September 14th, 2017 AT 3:35 PM