1997 Lincoln Town Car Heater Control Valve

MILKANDCOOKIES
  • 1997 LINCOLN TOWN CAR

Heater problem
1997 Lincoln Town Car V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

Can you tell me where the heater control valve is located on a 97 Lincoln Town Car 4.6 L? Is it under the windsheild wiper motor?

Saturday, December 1st, 2007 AT 9:46 AM

Most heater control valve are attached to the heater hose/s. I look for yours but not listed having one. The question is what's wrong?

Sunday, December 2nd, 2007 AT 1:33 PM
MILKANDCOOKIES

The heater is blowing cold air. I have the manual which in troubleshooting section says it would be the thermostat, the coolant level, or the heater control valve. I have eliminated the first two. I bought the part at parts store but don't see the same part under the hood. Any suggestions about where it would be?

+3
Sunday, December 2nd, 2007 AT 1:47 PM
MERLIN2021

Try warming the Vehicle, then carefully feel the heater hoses, are they both hot? If one is cooler than the other, You need to flush the core, or a replacement job on the heater core.
It's possible that the temperature blend door is stuck. The shaft it swings on is metal, and over time they tend to rust and binde up, operated the temp knob while you look for or feel for the actuator that moves that door, some actuators ar vacuum operated, some electrical. Either these motors, called servo motors can go bad or the above mentioned issue! If the shaft is frozen, try a small drill bit at the base of the shaft, drill thru the plastic and spray some white lithium grease in there, if you can move it by hand, so much the better! Work it back and forth till it moves freely!
Try this press off and floor at the same time, then within 2 seconds press auto, if it comes up with a fault code post it here.

+4
Sunday, December 2nd, 2007 AT 2:41 PM
MILKANDCOOKIES

Merlin2021 I did as you prescribed, pushing the buttons that you mentioned. There was a pause with a little light going around. Then I heard a clicking noise in the dash. Then the numbers 024 and 025 began flashing. Wait it gets better. Then I turned off the car and turned it back on and the heater started working. AWESOME! Now I don't know if the problem is fixed, but hopefully this information will give you a better idea of what my problem is/was. Thanks man!

-1
Sunday, December 2nd, 2007 AT 3:04 PM
MERLIN2021

Hers the in depth testing in case you need it...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Codes_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Tests_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Tests2_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Tests3_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Tests4_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Tests5_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Connectors_1.jpg

+2
Sunday, December 2nd, 2007 AT 4:25 PM
ROYS101

Try this press off and floor at the same time, then within 2 seconds press auto, if it comes up with a fault code post it here.[/Quote]

I did just what MilkandCookies did, and it worked for me too! Merlin2021 you are awesome. My heater woks again!

+1
Wednesday, September 30th, 2009 AT 11:56 AM
MERLIN2021

Thank you, and thanks for the point!

Wednesday, September 30th, 2009 AT 12:37 PM
BILL BEEMER

My car may be different, pressed the off floor at the same time, then auto; codes 24 then 16 came up. Whats up?

Tuesday, October 13th, 2009 AT 8:47 PM
MERLIN2021

What make model and year is it?

Friday, October 16th, 2009 AT 2:22 PM
BILL BEEMER

Sorry,
It is a 99 Town car 175000 mi. It has new intake with aluminum coolant passage, and new thermostat. Heater doesnt blow hot. I depressed the off and floor on the heater control and it flashed the #24 then #16. Any help appreciated, anymore info you need to help me I will try to get. Thanks.

-1
Friday, October 16th, 2009 AT 11:15 PM
MERLIN2021

24= Temperature blend door actuator failure/short
16= Recirc door actuator failure/short
DTC B1249: BLEND DOOR FAILURE 1. Check Actuator Operation To Full Cool Position Turn ignition off. Disconnect both EATC module connectors. Connect jumper wire between EATC module connector C227 Purple wire and connector C281 Red/White wire. Connect second jumper wire between EATC module connector C227 Brown/Light Green wire and connector C281 Black wire. If blend door actuator motor moves clockwise to full cool position, go to next step. If actuator does not move clockwise, go to step 3). 2. Check Actuator Operation To Full Hot Position Connect one jumper wire between EATC module connector C227 Brown/Light Green wire and connector C281 Red/White wire. Connect second jumper wire between EATC module connector C227 Purple wire and connector C281 Black wire. If blend door actuator motor moves counterclockwise to full hot position, go to step 8). If blend door actuator motor does not move counterclockwise, go to next step. 3. Check Purple Wire Circuit For Short Disconnect electronic blend door actuator connector. With an ohmmeter, measure resistance of Purple wire between ground and EATC module connector C227. If resistance is more than 10,000 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is less than 10,000 ohms, repair short to ground in Purple wire and retest system. 4. Check Brown/Light Green Wire Circuit For Short To Ground Measure resistance of Brown/Light Green wire between ground and EATC module connector C227. If resistance is more than 10,000 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is less than 10,000 ohms, repair short to ground in Brown/Light Green wire and retest system. 5. Check Purple Wire Circuit For Open With an ohmmeter, measure resistance of Purple wire between EATC module connector C227 and electronic blend door. If resistance is less than 5 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in Purple wire and retest system. 6. Check Brown/Light Green Wire Circuit For Open With an ohmmeter, measure resistance of Brown/Light Green wire between EATC connector C227 and electronic blend door actuator. If resistance is less than 5 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in Brown/Light Green wire and retest system. 7. Check Actuator Operation Remove electronic blend door actuator. See ELECTRONIC BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. Connect connector to electronic blend door actuator. With actuator drive shaft disengaged from temperature blend door, connect jumper wires, as in step 1), and drive blend door actuator to full hot position. Switch jumper wire connections, as in step 2) and drive blend door actuator to full cool position. If blend door moves in both directions to full hot and full cool positions, repair temperature blend door for blocked or binding condition. Retest system. If electronic blend door actuator did not move as indicated, replace electronic blend door actuator and retest system. 8. Check Feedback Potentiometer Resistance With jumper wires connected as in step 2), drive electronic blend door actuator to full cool position. With an ohmmeter, measure resistance between EATC module connector C281 Red/Light Green wire and connector C227 Red/White wire. If resistance is between 5,000 and 7,000 ohms, go to step 13). If resistance is not as specified, go to next step. 9. Check Red/Light Green Wire Circuit For Open Disconnect electronic blend door actuator connector. With an ohmmeter, measure resistance of Red/Light Green wire between EATC module connector C281 and electronic blend door actuator connector. If resistance is less than 5 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in Red/Light Green wire and retest system. 10. Check Red/White Wire Circuit For Open With an ohmmeter, measure resistance of Red/White wire between EATC connector C227 and electronic blend door actuator. If resistance is less than 5 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in Red/White wire and retest system. 11. Check Red/Light Green Wire Circuit For Short With an ohmmeter, measure resistance of Red/Light Green wire between ground and EATC module connector C281. If resistance is more than 10,000 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is less than 10,000 ohms, repair short to ground in Red/Light Green wire and retest system. 12. Check Red/White Wire Circuit For Short With an ohmmeter, measure resistance between EATC module connector C227 Red/White wire and ground. If resistance is more than 10,000 ohms, replace electronic blend door actuator and retest system. If resistance is less than 10,000 ohms, repair short to ground in Red/White wire and retest system. 13. Check Feedback Potentiometer Low Side Resistance Using jumper wires as in step 2), drive electronic blend door actuator to full cool position. With an ohmmeter, measure resistance between EATC module connector C227 Red/White wire and connector C281 Yellow/Light Green wire. If resistance is between 250 and 1500 ohms, go to step 16). If resistance is not as specified, go to next step. 14. Check Yellow/Light Green Wire Circuit For Open Disconnect electronic blend door actuator connector. With an ohmmeter, measure resistance of Yellow/Light Green wire between EATC module connector C281 and electronic blend door actuator connector. If resistance is less than 5 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in Yellow/Light Green wire and retest system. 15. Check Yellow/Light Green Wire Circuit For Short With an ohmmeter, measure resistance of Yellow/Light Green wire between ground and EATC connector C281. If resistance is more than 10,000 ohms, replace electronic blend door actuator. If resistance is less than 10,000 ohms, repair short to ground in Yellow/Light Green wire and retest system. 16. Check Feedback Potentiometer High Side Resistance Using jumper wires as in step 2), drive electronic blend door actuator to full cool position. With an ohmmeter, measure resistance between EATC connector C281 Red/Light Green wire and Yellow/Light Green wire. If resistance is between 3500 and 6000 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is not as specified, replace electronic blend door actuator and retest system. 17. Check Red/Light Green Wire Circuit For Short With an ohmmeter, measure resistance of Red/Light Green wire between ground and EATC connector C281. If resistance is more than 10,000 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is less than 10,000 ohms, repair short to ground in Red/Light Green wire and retest system. 18. Check Red/White Wire Circuit For Short With an ohmmeter, measure resistance of Red/White wire between ground and EATC connector C227. If resistance is more than 10,000 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is less than 10,000 ohms, repair short to ground in Red/White wire and retest system. 19. Check Yellow/Light Green Wire Circuit For Short With an ohmmeter, measure resistance of Yellow/Light Green wire between ground and EATC connector C281. If resistance is more than 10,000 ohms, replace electronic blend door actuator. Retest system. If resistance is less than 10,000 ohms, repair short to ground in Yellow/Light Green wire and retest system.

Saturday, October 17th, 2009 AT 6:54 AM
MANNYSUR

Dear sir. Thanks for your great post. And once that I did the self diagnostic it came codes 24, 25 and 115 wich are the temp. Blend door activator and the engine coolant temp. Sensor. Could you please have the way to indicate where this items are located on the vehicle?If possible with a diagram?Thanks in advance for your time. Manny.

Wednesday, December 9th, 2009 AT 9:25 AM
MERLIN2021

I will send info by email so you can see it.

Wednesday, December 9th, 2009 AT 1:44 PM
GJACOBS

I get a 24/16 and a 12/55. Any good advice?

Tuesday, February 19th, 2013 AT 6:08 AM
GJACOBS

It a 1999 Lincoln Towncar. 24/16 and 12/55

Tuesday, February 19th, 2013 AT 6:10 AM
JOE WATTS

If I cant afford to fix this thing and dont have the time or patience to pull the dash, is there anything I can do? Mine is stuck on AC and I got the 2425 error code. I dont care if it never blows cold again because I'm likely going to ghost ride it into a ravine ASAP

Monday, August 15th, 2016 AT 4:30 PM