1996 Lincoln Town Car catalyst converter

ANGEL25
  • 1996 LINCOLN TOWN CAR
Hi a week ago I had my catalytic converters replaced but 2 days lter the check engine light keps coming back on with the same code as before I even replaced them. Catalyst efficiency below threshold my question is will emptying out the front cats wich I believe have charcoil will it affect th computer and be triggering the light with the same code again? My o2 sensors are working.
Friday, December 4th, 2009 AT 9:14 AM

BLACKOP555
Both cats shoudl be replaced with quality ones.

If thats it then theres a issue with the vehicles o2 sensors or wiring. Remember the rear ones use the front o2 sensors as a refrence, if the front ones are bad the rear ones could be also.
Friday, December 4th, 2009 AT 3:46 PM
ANGEL25
The back 1s where replaced with universal but the front 1s I believe where gutted or for the most part they were, so the front 1s being emptied and the back 1s universal could that be the cause of the check engine light coming back with the same code
Friday, December 4th, 2009 AT 6:26 PM
BLACKOP555
The front ones were gutted? Thought you said the o2 sensors were working fine!

If the front oens were gutted your vehicle is getting terrible gas mileage no?

How were they gutted? They cant just be gutted and not throw a engine code.
Friday, December 4th, 2009 AT 10:32 PM
ANGEL25
Yes I guess there the charcoil canisters in front of the cats that were unclogged or gutted and I was getting the same code again I had the new cats replace again with slighlty bigger 1s and the temperature on the cats drop fom 1000 degrees to about 500 so I got the car back n been test driving it I already put 130 miles of test drive to see if the check engine light comess back on so far it hasnt n hopefully it wont. Yes I said the o2 sensors are working.
Saturday, December 5th, 2009 AT 1:57 PM