1992 Lincoln Town Car Car curs off while driving

JSWISSMOCHA
  • 1992 LINCOLN TOWN CAR
Computer problem
1992 Lincoln Town Car V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 117.23 miles

My check Engine light comes on and sometimes the Air Bag light flashes. At least twice a day while driving the car, I feel the car shake a bit and then the car will cut off. Sometimes I press the accelerator and the car will inch out of trafic then cut off. It will then start after a couple of tries. I sit and let it run and sometimes the car will barely go off and then back on ( the lights dim and the battery light blinks on and off). It will cut off and then I start it and then I can drive the car for miles. And then it happens again. Please Help.
Saturday, October 4th, 2008 AT 12:27 PM

MERLIN2021
Do this and count the flashes...Count the flashes, a 22 will flash as 2 flashes then a short pause, then 2 flashes, if more than one code is stored, the pause will be longer. The codes will display three times and end with 11 or 111. Write them down and post here. First do this with the ke on engine off, then again with it running.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Self_Test_Conn_4.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Test_Connector_Pre96_23.jpg

Saturday, October 4th, 2008 AT 3:21 PM
JSWISSMOCHA
I do not have that specific tool, I did purchase a CarMD diagnostic tool for my newer car and it only diagnose 1996 or newer cars. Ddo you know if that will work?
Sunday, October 5th, 2008 AT 5:19 AM
JSWISSMOCHA
I just noticed that this site was for professional mechanics. I am not a professional mechanic, but my dad is. The reason I am on this site now is because all off his diagnostic equipment was damaged in hurricane ike and so was my newer car. My dad has been keeping my car running great, that is why I still have the car. People are amazed at the great ride from a 1992 car.
Sunday, October 5th, 2008 AT 5:27 AM
MERLIN2021
No tools needed, just hook up the sti to the single wire and count the flashes in the car when you turn the key on.
Sunday, October 5th, 2008 AT 10:37 AM
JSWISSMOCHA
OK I will try this tomorrow after work and post it on the site.
Wednesday, October 8th, 2008 AT 8:24 PM
MERLIN2021
Will check back!
Thursday, October 9th, 2008 AT 4:45 PM