1987 Lincoln - no tail lights

RONDECKER
  • 1987 LINCOLN TOWN CAR
I have a 1987 Lincoln Towncar that has developed a problem with the tail lights: they aren't on. The brake lights and turn indicators work but not the tail lights. Also, the light over the license plate is out.

I've replaced all the fuses and bulbs but still have the same problem. The fuse that handles the tail lights also handles other things and all the other things work okay.

I'm dumbfounded. Any suggestions?

Best regards,
Ron Decker
Monday, April 9th, 2007 AT 6:17 PM

You probably lost the ground circuit-because if its short to ground it will blow the fuse-also could be an open circuit to the T/lites. Start by removing carpet and look for a quick disconnect going back to the lites. Test for power.

BTW do you have parking lites up front?
Thursday, April 12th, 2007 AT 6:49 AM
RONDECKER

BTW do you have parking lites up front?[/Quote:60ed3eba6c]

Yes, I have all the other lights as well. I'll take a gander at the under-carpet wiring. Also, when I left work yesterday my battery was dead. I got a jump and as I was waiting the handles on the jumper cables began to melt! I disconnected the batteries and looked around and finally found the headlights were pulling a lot of amps and they weren't on!

In any event, I got the car started and drove about a mile when the transmission gave a rather loud hiccup and died right in the middle of Houston traffic. I cruised to a gas station where I parked and eventually got the car home later that evening.

I am as perplexed as a man can be about all this. It seems the new problem just sort of popped up (don't know if that's possible) all on it's own.

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll give it a try and let you know what I find.

Best regards,
Ron
Thursday, April 12th, 2007 AT 5:48 PM