Rde control

BODIHEAD
  • 2000 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL
V8 front wheel drive automatic 60,555 miles.

I get a "check ride control" error on start up. I hear the compressor run for about five seconds then stops at that time error appears.
Wednesday, April 16th, 2008 AT 9:59 AM

MERLIN2021
You will need to have the air ride system scanned for the error code, it will tell you where to begin.
Wednesday, April 16th, 2008 AT 12:05 PM
HANNJO
I have a 1997 Continental which only has the air ride suspension in the rear. The rubber air ride bags will dry rot after a while and leak air. After the compressor tries to fill the air ride bags and fails to do so it will give you an error. I replaced the air bags with springs which I bought on-line from Strut Masters for about $200.00. You can replace the air bags yourself or have a garage do it for around $200.00 and you will never have to worry about the air ride system again. My ride is actually better with the springs than with the air ride system.
+5
Monday, July 7th, 2008 AT 8:20 AM
MERLIN2021
All that is true, if the air springs are the problem. If it is just a solenoid, $400.00 is a tad expensive!
Monday, July 7th, 2008 AT 9:07 AM
HANNJO
The air ride bags are only rated for four to five years of service and then are recommended to be replaced because of dry rot. The compressor and air dryer should also be replaced because of blow by from the compressor cylinder ring wearing out, think of all the times the compressor has to run over a four to five year time. You can replace the air ride bags for about $120.00 each, the compressor and air dryer will cost in the $150.00 range also. If you replace the air ride system it will cost in the $390.00 range and then if you are not handy you will have to pay a mechanic to replace the components also which is more expensive than the spring option. If it is really just the solenoid valves, in one or two years you will have to replace the air bags anyway. Would not the $200.00 springs and the $200.00 mechanic installation be cheaper over the long haul when you would not have to ever worry about the suspension system again?
+5
Monday, July 7th, 2008 AT 9:16 AM