1996 Lexus ES 300 O2 sensory

LEA2191
  • 1996 LEXUS ES 300
My O2 sensor needs to be replaced.
I have an extended warranty for the next 2000 miles of the car for the Evaporative control system.

This includes any part between the fuel tank and the intake manifold (but not including the intake manifold designed to contain or conduct fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold.
Some other parts are listed but not the 02 sensor.

Should this be under warranty with this?

Secondly, my car has a sludge problem with some metal shaving in the filter and oil light started coming on when driving more than about 10 miles.
They suggested doing a short block on the car (more than the car is worth), but then said they would just change the filter and clean some of the sludge from it, the diagnostics and for them to clean it was $450. They said the filter was very dirty.

They said there was no guarantee and the problem could come back quickly or could buy me some time.
The history of the car it had problems with sludge when it was very young car, successfully cleaned but since then had oil change about every 3,000 miles.
The car never needs oil added to it, has 3 leaks but does not seem to affect anything.

Except for the oil light (which is off at the moment) and check engine light seems to really run fine. There might be sometimes a tiny lag when I accelerate from a stop, hardly noticeably really but I think it is there sometimes. Gives me a sensation occasionally like I am on ice and can't quite get traction.

If not under warranty, I am trying to decide if I should just get a new car as soon as this one is no longer drivable, or have the O2 sensory fixed (they said that would be about $500. I don't want to just be throwing money away getting this fixed. How likely do you think that the car may last many more months or longer given the sludge problem, and their patch fix for that problem?
Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 10:55 PM

ZACKMAN
[quote]My O2 sensor needs to be replaced. I have an extended warranty for the next 2000 miles of the car for the Evaporative control system.

This includes any part between the fuel tank and the intake manifold (but not including the intake manifold designed to contain or conduct fuel vapor from the fuel tank to the intake manifold. Some other parts are listed but not the 02 sensor.

Should this be under warranty with this?[quote]

**O2 sensors are not parts of your Evaporative Emission System Control, and therefore will not be covered under the extended warranty of the evap control system. Can you give the code number(s) of the check engine light that warrant the )2 sensor replacement?***

[quote]Secondly, my car has a sludge problem with some metal shaving in the filter and oil light started coming on when driving more than about 10 miles. They suggested doing a short block on the car (more than the car is worth), but then said they would just change the filter and clean some of the sludge from it, the diagnostics and for them to clean it was $450. They said the filter was very dirty.

They said there was no guarantee and the problem could come back quickly or could buy me some time. The history of the car it had problems with sludge when it was very young car, successfully cleaned but since then had oil change about every 3,000 miles. The car never needs oil added to it, has 3 leaks but does not seem to affect anything.[quote]

***I found a website that has interesting info on sludge. synlube.com/sludge.htm, just add www. in the front. While many Toyota engine have sludge problem, very few of them actually fail because of it. And as many miles as you have on yours, I doubt that you will have problem any time soon. (In my opinion, if it was to fail, it would have failed a while back, in about 80K - 90K miles). If you usually get your oil change at your local oil and lube place, I suggest putting in a can of engine flush such as

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_ef30_1.jpg

or other similar products sold at your local retail stores. You may also want to bring in a higher quality oil filter rather than relying on what they provide. (The low quality filter used is usually the reason the oil gets so dirty before its time).

I wouldn't do the block job as suggested, it may not worth the cost, even the $450 "sludge cleaning".***

[quote]Except for the oil light (which is off at the moment) and check engine light seems to really run fine. There might be sometimes a tiny lag when I accelerate from a stop, hardly noticeably really but I think it is there sometimes. Gives me a sensation occasionally like I am on ice and can't quite get traction.[quote]

***As for the oil light, it is quite possible that the oil pressure switch is defective after all these years. I would replace the switch first, if I were you. Cost around $30.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_96es300hood_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_op674111_1.jpg

***

[quote]If not under warranty, I am trying to decide if I should just get a new car as soon as this one is no longer drivable, or have the O2 sensory fixed (they said that would be about $500. I don't want to just be throwing money away getting this fixed. How likely do you think that the car may last many more months or longer given the sludge problem, and their patch fix for that problem?[quote]

***Get me the check engine light code numbers first. Then, we'll go from there.***
Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 2:02 AM