ENGINE COOLING PROBLEM1993 LEXUS ES 300 6 CYL ...

1993 Lexus ES 300

igrotenhuis

March, 19, 2010 AT 3:13 PM

Engine Cooling problem
1993 Lexus ES 300 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 177000 miles

Just had the radiator replaced. The car seems to be leaking coolant, and I have to put more in every week or so. While driving, I can see steam or smoke (not quite sure which) coming from the engine when I'm at a stop light. It's not a ton, but it's still noticeable. After a drive, the engine smells like something is burning for the first couple minutes after it's turned off. The temperature gauge always reads normal and it's never spiked up into the " overheating" zone. No noticeable decline in engine performance while driving, except for a high-pitched whine related to RPM's. I called a mechanic, but he said everything was fine if there was no decline in driving performance. Any idea what's causing the smoke/steam and burning smell? Granted the car does have a ton of miles and it's on it's way out soon. But we're college students and need it to last as long as possible.

Dave H

March, 21, 2010 AT 8:10 AM

Have the tech who replaced the radiator check everything is installed correctly hose etc.

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500