2004 RANGE ROVER FRONT DRIVE SHAFT/FINAL DRIVE/DIFF/TRANSFE

• Machine525
  • 2004 ROVER RANGE ROVER

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2004 Range Rover V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 72000 miles

Just wanted to get some opinions out there on a nagging issue.

Replaced front diff AND drive shaft due to worn splines (grinding noise when transmission engaged and vehicle wouldn't move). Pretty common issue on these trucks. This was about 3 weeks ago.

This is a one driver vehicle driven normally with no off-road or extreme use. The only none stock item is after market wheels (24inch). I tend to believe the customer since she is a soccer mom type. Got a call from her after business hours yesterday stating the same problem had recurred.

Road assistance towed it to their facility where a "tech" (and I use that term loosely) claims the replacement shaft (from the dealer) and the transfer case are both out but the front drive shaft is still ok. Don't know how he determined that without disassembly and a visual inspection.

Have done this repair before but have never encountered this before. Any insight into this while I wait to have the vehicle towed to me is highly appreciated.

Saturday, December 20th, 2008 AT 3:04 PM