1986 Land Rover Defender Turbo bearings and turbine shaft

QUASWOOD@TISCALI.CO.UK
  • 1986 LAND ROVER DEFENDER

1986 Land Rover Defender 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual Loads miles

Late last year my turbo started making disturbing noises and burning a lot of oil, so I bought a bearing repair kit because there was a lot of wear in the bearings causing a lot of radial play, I stripped down my turbo, leaving the waste gate casting fitted to the car, I replaced all bearings in the turbo along with the turbine wheel and shaft and the impellor wheel.
Even though the turbo seemed to run up OK with compressed air and had no play in the bearings and the oil supply is good, soon after it was fitted the noises returned. I have striiped it down again to find the bearings badly worn, I have also discovered there is a lot of play in the waste gate mechanism.
Do you think the waste gate might have caused enough fluctuations to cause so much wear in such a short time or should I be looking somewhere else

Monday, March 30th, 2009 AT 7:21 PM