2000 Kia Spectra Timing Belt

RJOHNSN
  • 2000 KIA SPECTRA
So I replaced my timing belt today and the car is idling rough. The belt was off a tooth on each cam because I thought it wouldnt have enough tension (too much deflection) if I did it that way. Big mistake. Since I dont have a tool to read the deflection should I just line it up and whatever deflection exists is the right amount?
Also I have to use the car this week. Do you think it will be fine without changing it beforehand or will it be detrimental?
thanks in advance
Monday, June 7th, 2010 AT 5:24 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

The valve timing is critical, align the marks and allow the tensioner to do its work, ensure all is still aligned after rotating engine 2 full revolutions, back off adjuster and re set, do not drive with the valve timing out.

Monday, June 7th, 2010 AT 6:17 PM
RJOHNSN
Thanks now I have my belt off again but having trouble lining the Intake and Exhaust because it seems like im on the wrong stroke or cycle bec it keeps jumping bf I can get the belt on. Should I turn the engine over so that it is on a different stroke, ie compression, intake? Also I am a noob but I have assumed my crankshaft turns over clockwise when I am facing it. Is this the right way the engine turns.

Thanks in advance
Monday, June 7th, 2010 AT 10:03 PM
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Do not turn the engine over while attempting to fit the timing belt, if you are having a problem, get a helper to hold the cam in position while you set the tensioner, the engine turns in a clockwise direction.

Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 8:29 AM
RJOHNSN
Ok will do. But again if I put the new belt on teporarily can I turn the engine over to some stroke i.E compression that will make it so the cams are easier to line up? Also can I test the timing belt without the ac and alt. Belts on?
Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 10:17 AM
MHPAUTOS
You must set it up on No1 TDC, you will have no timing reference if you try and do it any other way, try this trick, cut a section of the old belt or get some thick rubber, get 2 small vyce grips, set crank run timing belt around crank and to exhaust cam, place belt over gear and put extra rubber on top of gear and clamp softy, run over inlet cam, do same with 2nd clamp and rubber cushion (do not clamp new belt direct as it may be damaged) this should hold cams in correct position and if they do turn in a little the belt will not slip.

Mark
Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 4:26 PM
RJOHNSN
Mark thanks for that tip. One last thing if both my cams have dots which I can line up with engine at 12:00 and Lt cam has another mark at 3 and rt at 9 then if I line these up this will be TDC on cylinder one or could it be 180 degrees off?
Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 5:57 PM
MHPAUTOS
Align cam timing marks as per pic, tooth adjacent to cam indicator is the alignment point.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/61395_Capture_24.jpg

mark
+3
Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 6:45 PM