2000 Kia Spectra starter

RJOHNSN
  • 2000 KIA SPECTRA
So I replaced the starter on my car. Car was dead. So I thought it was not the starter. I then replaced a blown fuse, a green 40A ig2, and the car sounded like it turned over but there was a horrible high pitched metallic grinding sound. I checked the fuse and this had blown it again. The car did not have the grinding sound before so im wondering if it was possible if the starter was not torqued down correctly this could happen or what?
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 1:55 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Hello and thanks for donating

The starter mounting bolts should have been torqued to 27 - 38 Foot Lbs. This grinding could also occur if the starter electrical connections are hooked up in the wrong spots. Since the fuse blew and was getting the noise, my bet would be on the wiring, not the mounting bolts.
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 3:39 PM
RJOHNSN
So are you saying it could be be something in the wiring harness or I just did something wrong being a newbee? And what I should replace. Your right the connection (not the push spade) the other screw on one was not put on tightly with the nut but just put on loosly
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 3:48 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Either the wiring is not hooked up in the correct spots on the starter OR the wiring harness itself is bad.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_2254.jpg

Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 3:55 PM
RJOHNSN
Right but the faulty wiring harness would not cause the starter to make that noise right? The new starter did not come with directions on where to hook up the one other cable that was not the push spade. Besides the push spade there were two mounting areas but I only have the one wire (again besides the spade) if I have 2 studs and one wire which one do I put it on?
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 4:39 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
If it's grinding now then just switch the spot and see if it resolves problem
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 4:42 PM