Just had repairs done, but check engine light came on

SMDPENGUIN
  • 2003 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
I just had repairs done (water pump, air filter, and timing belt replaced) and I also had an oil change and coolant flush. But the day after, the check engine light comes on. What could be the problem? They didn't indicate anything else was wrong when they analyzed my car, so I am confused why I have the light come on after only driving like 10 miles or so.
Tuesday, October 22nd, 2013 AT 3:26 PM

THE 1ST THING TO DO IS HAVE IT SCANNED. MANY POPULAR AUTO PARTS STORES WILL DO THIS FOR FREE!

GET THE ACTUAL CODE(S) WRITE THEM DOWN. THE STORE MAY "OFFER" WHAT THEY MIGHT MEAN, BUT THEY CAN SOMETIMES BE INTERPRETED DIFFERENTLY. WITHOUT THE ACTUAL LETTERS AND NUMBERS, THIS END WILL BE IN THE DARK

THIS MAY BE A COINCIDENCE OR MAYBE SOMETHING THEY WAS AFFECTED DURING YOUR FIX

AN EXAMPLE OF "A CODE" IS "P0442", WHICH IS A SMALL EVAP LEAK, PROBABLY THE MOST COMMON REASON BEING CAUSED BY AN INCORRECTLY INSTALLED/ OR A BAD GAS CAP

YOU ONLY HAVE "ONE" CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. MAYBE HUNDREDS OF CODES. SO BE AWARE, YOU MAY HAVE MORE THAN ONE CODE, WHEN YOU GET IT SCANNED. SOMETIMES, ONE CODE "DOMINOES" OTHERS TO SHOW UP

Tuesday, October 22nd, 2013 AT 6:21 PM
MADMIKE1735
I would bring it back to whatever garage performed these repairs, as its likely they just left a sensor connector unplugged. If they try to charge you, and give you a big story, let us know, and we can tell you whether or not its related to the repairs that were just made. Im sure its something simple.
Tuesday, October 22nd, 2013 AT 8:30 PM
SMDPENGUIN
Well I took it back and they didn't charge me anything. Apparently the Catalytic converter code came up; however, the technician said he wasn't really concerned about it. He said that it is likely due to the repairs they did earlier because he thinks the car is running fine (apart from the light). He turned off the light for me and said to bring it back if it comes back on. But he said that my car hasn't been running well since the repairs this past Monday (10/21) and that now my car is running clean fuel and all the blockages are out, and the car just hasn't been running long enough to register with the car. What do you think? Is that bogus or does that make sense?
Wednesday, October 23rd, 2013 AT 5:45 AM
MADMIKE1735
Cat code being po420. Usually means the cat is bad. It isnt burning the unburned fuel left in the exaust gas, and once you get the code, they usually dont go away.
Friday, October 25th, 2013 AT 3:36 PM

Related Check Engine Light Content