2004 Jeep Wrangler won't start

OLINGER
  • 2004 JEEP WRANGLER
When you open the door all the gauges go back and forth and it will not start
Tuesday, October 14th, 2008 AT 9:06 AM

RACEFAN966
Could you explain in a bit more detail please? What exactly it happening and what happens when you put in the key and try to start it? Any noises or lights on the dash or anything? If I am understanding correctly it sounds like you are having a security/ or factory alarm problem. Get back to me and we will go from there.
Tuesday, October 14th, 2008 AT 9:15 AM
OLINGER
Open door gauges jump, put key in and it starts beeping, try to turn over and lights on inst. Panel go on and off
Tuesday, October 14th, 2008 AT 10:04 AM
RACEFAN966
Does this have a factory alarm system? If so I would say that there is something wrong with that and it is thinking it is being stolen so it won't start. Now just to make sure you are using the factory supplied key right? I have found that if you don't it goes into theft mode. I have had a customer leave me there spare key it was cut buy a parts store not the dealer so it was never programmed to start only open it and man till I had the customers factory key it would do nothing.
+1
Tuesday, October 14th, 2008 AT 8:35 PM
DREVERLAST
2001 wrangler sport having same problem! First time two weeks ago, then nothing till today. Runs fine. Shut it off, get back in and try to start and nothing. No gauge lights, no odometer reading nothing but beeps when key is in and gauges jump back and forth even when you take key out. Does not stop till door is shut or door is open and you push the dome light switch in the door. I do not have factory alarm but aftermarket viper alarm. It will not arm when this happens but after turning key on and off several times jeep will just up and start like nothing was wrong. Very irritating and makes me late! Dealer suggested new battery but heres the thing, if battery is dead, then why all of a sudden it starts right up with no hesitation? Does not "grind" like when a battery is dead or has no juice. Possible brain problem? Any help on this matter would be super and I hope my non-factory alarm situation helps to clear this problem. I have 89k and no problems except for regular p1486 code (loose gas cap). If any questions dreverlast@hotmail. Com or if I can help more! Thank you!
Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 4:58 PM
DREVERLAST
Just got off phone with alarm installer. He says does not sound like alarm problem but rather a loose battery cable or loose cable coming into fuse block. Definitely not battery as mine fires right up once gauges and stuff stop jumping around (sometimes 3 minutes, sometimes 15 minutes). Not cranking hard or repeating every time I try to start it so I believe battery is not the answer. Will try tightening cables to see and get back with you!
Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 5:32 PM
RACEFAN966
It could also be the body module (computer) I will check to see if I can find any tests to this ok.
Tuesday, October 28th, 2008 AT 9:05 AM
DREVERLAST
After cleaning battery posts and checking them for looseness I had no luck. No lights, nothing. I reached under the dash, wiggled the fuseblock and bam! Lights, odometer, etc came on and jeep fired right up. Has only been a day, but have been in and out of jeep several times on the way to work and on the way home with no other incidents. Could be a fluke but when I get the extra time, I will get under the dash to see if I see anything out of the ordinary. Till then let me know what you find on the brain ok? As far as brain goes, dealership service dept said when battery gets below 9 amps brain starts shutting things down. But if my battery was bad, it would be weak cranking over, especially in the intense cold this morning so I dont believe its the battery at all. Will keep you posted and please do the same for me thanks!
Tuesday, October 28th, 2008 AT 6:54 PM
RACEFAN966
Great it sounds like you have a loose connection at the fuse panal so just keep an eye on it and if it comes back you may have bad connection at the panal or fuse connection. Anyway great that is running hope it stays that way.
Tuesday, October 28th, 2008 AT 7:24 PM