2004 Jeep Wrangler Jeep Will not start, Guages jump back an

MAKINITEZ21
  • 2004 JEEP WRANGLER
My 04 jeep wrangler will not start. It started about 5 days ago, I got out the car went in a store for a min when I came out and tried to start it sort of halfway started then shut off and started beeping and the gauges started jumping back and forth really fast. I took the key out and tried it again and nothing. Tried it again. Nothing. On the third try, it fired right up. Ran fine for 5 days until today. On my drive to work today when I turned on the radio it kept turning on then off. So I turned it off thinking something was wrong with the radio. Then I noticed the battery gauge moving from side to side (it is usually stable at 14v). Then a few minutes later on the drive, the "check gauges" light came on. Closer to my destination it went off. When I got to work I turned off the engine and all the gauges started jumping back and forth. When I opened the door and closed it again they stopped. It seems that the jump only when power is applied to the instrument panel cause power is applied when the door opens to show the odometer reading. Try to start it and nothing happened. Then I decided to turn the headlights on and tried to start it, it cranked but didnt turn over. So I turned the headlights off and it fired right up. HELP!
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 9:35 AM

RACEFAN966
Ok I need to which model of wrangler you have rubicon or sahara or. Then I would also like it if you can call around to your local parts stores and see if one does a free scan and take it there and have them scan it and write down the codes and then have them clear them and get back to me with any codes. You will need a digital multi meter too so we can do some tests I am thinking we need to check the BCM. Get back to me with the info needed and we will take it from there.
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 10:04 AM
MAKINITEZ21
Its a Rubicon. I have a Digital Multimeter at home, will do the measurements this afternoon and get back to you with the codes.
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 10:49 AM
MAKINITEZ21
Ok. So I went to auto zone and they hooked up the diagnostic machine and it said no codes found. I dont think it will show any cause like I said, the light went off, it is running now like nothing happened. I have the multimeter when ever you are ready just tell me what to measure and where.
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 4:24 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok no codes makes it harder. It should have set a code as this is an obd2 system and it has a memory. So this means it didn't set the code. Now you say it isn't acting up now? If it isn't acting up we won't find any problems as now it working right. Get back to me if this is correct. If it is still acting up then I would like to do a pin test on the BCM. Get back to me.
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 9:58 AM
MAKINITEZ21
It works fine now, I am not sure what triggered the event, so I cannot induce it. I will monitor it and if it should start to act up again I will do the pin test. What am I looking for when I do this?
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 10:37 AM
RACEFAN966
If it acts up again just get back to me and I will look it up and walk you through the tests to see what is happening. Till then.
Friday, July 24th, 2009 AT 9:27 AM
LRYNVA
My jeep is kinda of doing the same thing. It would have check engine light on then it would go off finally if I drove it for about 20mins and would turn it off it would try to turn over but acted like it was out of gas and would take about 2hrs to start back up. Mind you the temp gauge never went over 210 but noticed it would take till it got down to almost 100 before starting. The engine never over heated and once it started it would drive like a champ. The the other day it had no power at all but would take a charge and would again drive great meanwhile my check engine light would come on and off while the check gauge light came on. Taking it to the mechanic monday
Sunday, July 26th, 2009 AT 10:46 AM
MAKINITEZ21
Ok, so it happened again, but this time I was nowhere near a computer so I could not ask you how to test it. So I did what I did last time, I turned on the headlights and it came right back. It seem to lose power completely cause the interior lights dont work until like 3 seconds of having the headlights turned on, and the trip odometer resets to zero. Also I have a stereo that needs a security code if it loses power. So that asks me for a code which can only mean it has lost power completely. There is no consistency with the time that it happens so I cannot quite say what triggers it. If I know the tests you want me to do I can perform them whenever and where ever this thing happens cause it is unpredictable
Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 8:45 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok what I would like you to do is remove the auto shutdown relay it is in the underhood relay fuse box. Now turn it over and you should see that the terms are numbered. Measure the resistance between term number 85 and 86 it should read between 50 to 80 ohms if not in spec then replace the auto shutdown relay. If it tests fine then I need you to probe F15 fused switch how much voltage do you get? Let me know what you find.
Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 9:44 AM
MAKINITEZ21
Ok resistance on the ASD relay comes in at 75.5 ohms and the voltage on F15 comes in at 12.55 volts. This was done with the car working fine. I have not had a chance to get it while it is acting funny.
Friday, July 31st, 2009 AT 7:48 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok when it act up next do the test again and now it is testing fine. I know this can be frustrating and it may take a bit as when it running fine nothing is going to test bad but just be patient we will get this figured out I am in it till it is fixed if you are.
Saturday, August 1st, 2009 AT 8:36 AM
LITTLE-RED
My jeep also did this. It was my battery believe it or not. New battery, no problem
Sunday, September 13th, 2009 AT 6:20 PM