4.0 TURNS OVER NO SPARK

2000 Jeep Wrangler

Reagan78757

August, 8, 2010 AT 5:09 PM

2000 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 97000 miles

My son and I replaced the 4.0 engine in his 2000 Wrangler Sport . It was running when we parked it to swap the engine with a rebuilt. With the new engine it turns over but does not start. There is fuel. There is no fire from the No. 1 plug wire. It was showing No bus on the odometer, fuel gauge, and volt gauge were inoperable. I switched a couple of the relays (ASD and something else) and the no bus went away, gauges started working. I switched the relays back and the "no bus did not return, gauges continued to function. However the engine still turns over, but will not start. It has a new coil pack. There is small relay that is grounded to the block just above the oil filter. The wire kept coming out of the relay plug so I put a new terminal on it and cleaned the ground connection.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/559432_Right_side_of_engine_off_of_internet_site_1.jpg

I feel like we have not put a wire or connection, something, back like it belongs. Any ideas? Thank you.

August, 8, 2010 AT 5:31 PM

Hi Reagan78757, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Lets start by inspecting and testing the crankshaft position positioning sensor-this is the one that tells the computer what plug to fire-let me know

Reagan78757

August, 11, 2010 AT 8:37 PM

It turned out to be the Crank Position Sensor. Upon re-installation of engine, we apparently bumped the CPS wire, partially severing the wire next to the sensor. New sensor and it fired right up. Thank you!

Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement