1997 Jeep Wrangler No Gauges, No Spark, No Start, NEED HELP

CSD2984
  • 1997 JEEP WRANGLER
OK. I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L Manual Trans.

I started my Jeep the other morning to let it warm up and when I came back roughly 10 minutes later, it had stalled out. I tried to fire it up again, and nothing.

It will crank all day long but I am not getting any spark and therefore it won't start.

I have a new battery, new distributor cap, new rotor, new plugs, new wires.

The CKP, Crankshaft Position Sensor, was resting on my exhaust manifold and it had melted, so I thought I had my culprit - but no dice.

I replaced it and I still have no spark. I am at a complete loss.

I am not showing a check engine light or any other dummy lights. I have checked all of my fuses - all good.

I switched my relays, and they are all in working order.

It is my daily driver so I desperately need to solve this problem as easily and inexpensively as possible.

Also - The Thing that is really confusing me is that my fuel pump kicks on with the key in the on position, but it does not kick off after a few seconds. It runs constantly.

As far as my gauges - they do not move at all. The odometer shows up, but the fuel gauge doesn't move and neither do any of the other ones.

I have plenty of gas in my tank.
Wednesday, July 7th, 2010 AT 12:05 PM

INTERNETMECHANIC
I'd check the fuses in the diagram, did you check for voltage at the fuse circuits? Even if the fuse is good, if no voltage the circuit is dead. As you can see, one fuse circuit is hot all the time, the other goes hot with the key on. Use a voltage tester.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/512072_jeep_wrangler_fuses_1.jpg

+1
Wednesday, July 7th, 2010 AT 7:28 PM
CSD2984
Do you know which fuses those are? What do they control?
-2
Wednesday, July 7th, 2010 AT 8:26 PM
INTERNETMECHANIC
Those fuses are voltage to your instrument cluster. Do you have no lites on the dash? Maybe I misunderstood your post.

Engine cranking, do you have primary voltage at the coil, dark green wire with black tracer. That voltage comes from the asd relay, if no voltage, you have to check for cam and crank signal, before anything else.

Can you check for applicable trouble codes? I always check even if the lite isn't on, just habit, I guess.
-1
Thursday, July 8th, 2010 AT 9:10 AM
CSD2984
I don't think you are understanding my issue.

The gauges not working are a sympton of the larger issue - not getting spark and the car not starting.

The gauges are getting power - they are not getting the signals to make them function properly.

As far the crankshaft position sensor - I already checked and changed that out for a brand new one, as previously stated.

I do not mean to come off abrasive, I've just been fighting this problem for the past week now and have not gotten anywhere with it other than spending money that could be put toward better things.

Again.

The car cranks. It is not getting spark.

Crankshaft Position sensor has been replaced.

I am not getting any CEL codes. No idiot lights are on. I plugged in an OBD II code reader and it pulled nothing.

How do I check the circuitry to figure out if my PCM(ECU) is malfunctioning?
+1
Thursday, July 8th, 2010 AT 1:51 PM
INTERNETMECHANIC
I understand your frustration. Did you check the wire I mentioned for voltage? All I can do is go step by step. If there is a problem with a wiring circuit somewhere, replacing parts won't fix it.
-2
Thursday, July 8th, 2010 AT 2:17 PM