No Gauges, No Spark, No Start, NEED HELP

CSD2984
  • 1997 JEEP WRANGLER
I started my Jeep the other morning to let it warm up and when I came back roughly 10 minutes later, it had stalled out. I tried to fire it up again, and nothing.

It will crank all day long but I am not getting any spark and therefore it won't start.

I have a new battery, new distributor cap, new rotor, new plugs, new wires.

The CKP, Crankshaft Position Sensor, was resting on my exhaust manifold and it had melted, so I thought I had my culprit - but no dice.

I replaced it and I still have no spark. I am at a complete loss.

I am not showing a check engine light or any other dummy lights. I have checked all of my fuses - all good.

I switched my relays, and they are all in working order.

It is my daily driver so I desperately need to solve this problem as easily and inexpensively as possible.

Also - The Thing that is really confusing me is that my fuel pump kicks on with the key in the on position, but it does not kick off after a few seconds. It runs constantly.

As far as my gauges - they do not move at all. The odometer shows up, but the fuel gauge doesn't move and neither do any of the other ones.

I have plenty of gas in my tank.
Wednesday, July 7th, 2010 AT 12:05 PM

INTERNETMECHANIC
I'd check the fuses in the diagram, did you check for voltage at the fuse circuits? Even if the fuse is good, if no voltage the circuit is dead. As you can see, one fuse circuit is hot all the time, the other goes hot with the key on. Use a voltage tester.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/512072_jeep_wrangler_fuses_1.jpg

+2
Wednesday, July 7th, 2010 AT 7:28 PM
CSD2984
The fuses are good, what next?
Wednesday, July 7th, 2010 AT 8:26 PM
INTERNETMECHANIC
Those fuses are voltage to your instrument cluster. Do you have no lites on the dash? Maybe I misunderstood your post.

Engine cranking, do you have primary voltage at the coil, dark green wire with black tracer. That voltage comes from the asd relay, if no voltage, you have to check for cam and crank signal, before anything else.

Here is a guide to help test and the location of the relay.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
+1
Thursday, July 8th, 2010 AT 9:10 AM
CSD2984
The gauges not working are a symptom of the larger issue - not getting spark and the car not starting.

The gauges are getting power - they are not getting the signals to make them function properly.

As far the crankshaft position sensor - I already checked and changed that out for a brand new one, as previously stated.

I've just been fighting this problem for the past 6 months. So I took a chance and replaced the relay and no problems so far I will drive it and report back if I have another problem. Thanks for your help.
+1
Thursday, July 8th, 2010 AT 1:51 PM
INTERNETMECHANIC
Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help

Cheers
Thursday, July 8th, 2010 AT 2:17 PM
JEEPSTER94
  • 1994 JEEP WRANGLER
I have a 1994 jeep wrangler 2.5 liter that has no spark from the ignition coil. I have changed the coil and the crank positioning sensor. There is no to very little power going into the coil. I changed a fuse and it went from 0 volts to 2.3 volts. The jeep has been sitting for a few months so there may be some corrosion buildup. Thank you for your help I really need it
Thursday, January 17th, 2019 AT 2:59 PM (Merged)
2.3 volts suggests the automatic shutdown (ASD) relay is turning on but that there's a high-resistance connection somewhere, so lets check that circuit first. Remove the ASD relay, jump terminals 30 and 87 together in the socket, then read the voltage at the ignition coil or any injector.

Here is a guide to help test the relay and the ASD location as well below.

+5
There is two parts to the circuit. Since you had 12 volts to the ignition coil when you jumped the ASD relay, we know the high-current half is working and the fuse is okay. If you do not even see that 12 volts switch on with the relay installed for that first one second, that points to an Engine Computer problem or a different blown fuse. Engine Computers do not fail on Chrysler products very often. If you have a service manual and know how to read the wiring diagrams, there will usually be three or four 12 volts supplies feeding the Engine Computer that you need to check. One will be there all the time; one will be switched on through the ignition switch, and one will come through the ASD relay.

Before we go looking for difficult stuff, did you check that voltage with a test light or a voltmeter? If you used a voltmeter and did not see 12 volts for one second after turning on the ignition switch, check it again with a test light. Most voltmeters do not respond fast enough to catch that one-second blip.
JEEPSTER94
I used a voltmeter but I do not have a 12 volt test light. I pulled the cap off of the relay and it does not move when the engine is cranked. I get fuel up to the fuel bar but I do not know how to test the injectors.
What is of most importance is does that relay click on for one second when the ignition switch is turned on. If it does not, there is a problem in the circuit that controls it. If it does, there is a problem with the cam or crank sensor.

Here is a guide to help test the injectors

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-a-fuel-injector

Please run down this guide and report back.
+1
JEEPSTER94
It does not click.
-1
JUNKER 81
  • 1990 JEEP WRANGLER
I just changed motor in my wrangler. I started it it ran fine for about 10 min. And died. There is no spark coming out of main coil wilre. The pick up is good in the dist. The coil is good, the ignintion control is good, I checked all fuses under dash they are good. What should I be checking now?
BMRFIXIT
Suspect Crank sensor Located on left side of tranny bellhousing
JEEPSTER94
I have checked all my fuses I have power to all but the accessories LPS fuse. I changed it but still no power.
JUNKER 81
[quote="BMRFIXIT"]Suspect Crank sensor Located on left side of tranny bellhousing There is no crank sensor on this vehichle it is a 90 wrangler with a carb. On it.
You need to check right at the Engine Computer. I have a real lot of Chrysler service manuals but the closest I can find for yours is for a 1993 Grand Cherokee, and that did not have the 2.5L engine. Chrysler was pretty consistent though with their wiring from year to year and with different engine sizes so let me see if this looks right.

They show terminal 3 as a pink/black wire with full battery voltage all the time for both the 4.0L and 5.2L engines. Terminal 9 is a light blue or a light blue/red wire that gets 12 volts from the ignition switch when it's in "run". You can remove the 60-pin connector and measure right on the terminals, but do not stick a meter probe in too far as that could stretch the terminals.

Next, there are multiple power ground wires to check. You can use an ohm meter to measure the continuity but a more accurate test is to remove the connector's rear cover, then back-probe the terminals through the rubber seal and measure voltage while the connector is plugged in and the ignition switch is on. Typically you can expect to find as much as 0.2 volts but more than that indicates a high-resistance connection. Terminals 5, 11, and 12 are all grounds and are all black/tan.

All of these wires are in one of the outer of the three rows of terminals, (assuming you have the common 60-pin connector, and not the newer style three smaller connectors). One row has terminals 1 - 20.

I should have you check something easier before I jump the gun and head to the computer. There is four terminals on the ASD relay socket. You already jumped the two high-current terminals. Look at the other two that are on the sides and parallel to each other. One of those should get 12 volts all the time the ignition switch is in "run". Make sure that is showing up.
WARD1402
Check the two wires connected to the coil.
If it has the type coil that the cap slides onto the coil make sure the wires aren't pulled loose of the cap.
This happened to me.
I simply cut the wires close to the cap and crimped connectors on the wires and slid these over the terminals on the coil.
Make sure you note the polarity when reconnecting these wires to the coil.
JEEPSTER94
There is no power to the other two terminals.
Terminal 30 or 87 should have 12 volts all the time. We established he's there because you jumped those terminals and had 12 volts at the ignition coil. Of those two parallel terminals on the sides, one gets grounded by the computer to activate the relay and one gets 12 volts from the ignition switch.

I do not know what they used for an ignition switch but if it is the same one Chrysler used in the early 1990's, check that and its connector for signs of overheating and melting. Typically two terminals will be blackened and the connector body will be melted around them.
JAYBOS10
What do you mean by ignition switch? On the steering wheel? I am at this point with no power at the other two points on the ASD. And stuck.