2000 Other Jeep Models Brakes squealing

• 1 POST
  • 2000 JEEP

Brakes problem
2000 Other Jeep Models 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 127000 miles

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 127,000 Miles

I have owned this vehicle for a little over a year now. When I first purchased the Jeep the brakes never squealed or made any grinding noise.

Last July (2007) I started hearing a squealing when I pressed on the brakes. So I figured that I needed to get the brakes changed.

I took it to a Dodge Dealership and they said the brake pads were fine, and really the rotors looked good too, but they went ahead and turned those for me.

It didn't do anything to take the squeal away. They basically told me it was humidity, and that when the colder weather comes along, the squeal would go away. Well winter came and the squealing didn't go away.

I took it to a different mechanic last month and he changed all brake pads and rotors and I still have a loud squeal.

Do you have any thoughts of what could be causing the squeal?

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008 AT 1:27 PM

If you had the Ceramic Pads put on that could be the cause of the squeal. I have had a lot of complaints about the squeal with the ceramic pads.

If not do you know if they used wha is called Brake Quiet or Anti-Squeal. It is a rubbery coating placed on the backs of the pads to help prevent the Squeal.

What causes the squeal is a vibration between the pad and the caliper.

Monday, July 7th, 2008 AT 9:34 PM