1984 Jeep CJ7 Solenoid buzzes but the starter won't engage

TOMKALAFUT
  • 1984 JEEP CJ7
History: I used to occasionally have the problem that when I turned the key something would just click once and the entire vehicle would be dead. After unattaching and reattaching the positive battery cable, sometimes more than once, it would eventually start. This problem would disappear for 1-2 years at a time, so I only worried about it during its rare visits!

It's evolved. Now I consistently get a loud buzzing noise from the starter solenoid when I turn the key to start. I've replaced the starter solenoid, checked the battery cables/connections, and had the starter checked.

I usually only have parking lights, though 2 tries ago my headlights came on after I hadn't touched the vehicle in 2 months. After my first try, only parking lights.

One guess: the red&white wire to the solenoid isn't getting juice (for whatever reason). I removed it (while keeping its partner engaged on its knob) and it still buzzes when I try to start. That might explain
why it still buzzed when I grounded it with a wire to the block. (I also spliced the red&white wire to make a direct connection from it to the solenoid, to rule out the connector being bad.) But I have no idea why I only have parking lights.

It looks like there's a fusible link well-integrated into the wire harness that connects to the starter solenoid. The fusible link joins the positive battery cable on 1 post of the solenoid. I might try replacing that next.
Friday, March 26th, 2010 AT 4:32 PM

Hi tomkalafut, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

It's evolved. Now I consistently get a loud buzzing noise from the starter solenoid when I turn the key to start.

Double check the battery condition and connections to include the starter side

If the starter is engaging the engine and not cranking it over the starter overrunning clutch is slipping -check it and get back with me asap
-2
Friday, March 26th, 2010 AT 5:44 PM