WON'T IDLE WELL AND STALLS FREQUENTLY WHE

1984 Jeep CJ7

mgchauvin

December, 10, 2007 AT 10:04 PM

Engine problem
1984 Jeep CJ7 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 75,000 miles

Hello. I have a 84 CJ7 with approx. 75,000 miles. I live in Arizona so the summers are brutally hot but the winters can get cold. I've had sporadic problems with the idle on my car, but until about 2 weeks ago was ok. The temps have dropped to the 50s during the day and low 30s at night, and now the car just won't idle without stalling. It is manual so quite difficult to pump the gas while braking or in neutral shifting, and when the power steering dies with the car going around a turn, can get quite exciting.

I have tried 3 different types of carb cleaner, and covered every moving part around the carb. The idle seems to be controlled by 3 different screws that hold the throttle open, but I can't tell what each does so am monkeying with them in combo. Naturally, this is not helping. I was able to crank the idle up quite high, but know that isn't right and the car won't turn off without running on afterwards a bit. Please help, thanks.

Dies On Idle

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right