1979 Jeep CJ5 fuel sending unit to fuel level gauge

LANESTOYS@BELLSOUTH.NET
  • 1979 JEEP CJ5
1979 Jeep CJ5 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual

I am looking to find the answer to what the ohms are, to the oe sending unit, to my vehicle. I am needing to buy a aftermarket - custom, fuel level gauge for it. All of the ones I am finding are asking for ohms info.
Saturday, June 19th, 2010 AT 9:12 PM

See my profile, Other CJ 5/7 answers in the forums.

Had '79 CJ 5 in 1983 (2nd of 7) Still have 6 and 7 All have been my primary drivers---never had a car!

Can assist you with all CJ problems---I know my crap!

Will send you a "PM" (private message) very soon! It will maybe help you with other stuff!

I HAVE THE 1979 AMC SERVICE MANUAL---IT IS THE BEST MANUAL I HAVE! BREAKS ALL INVOLVED DOWN INTO MOLECULES--ON A 2nd GRADER LEVEL!

To answer your question---straight out of the manual

FUEL SENDING UNIT RESISTANCE CJ :

EMPTY.73 OHMS

1/2.23 OHMS

FULL.10 OHMS

Are you putting in a larger tank. Make sure you check up and down of the float, with top and bottom of tank.

On a fully adjustable unit, I hook the "Flange" on a table and measure up and down with a tape measure. Then I "Tweak" the pivot to exact center, and adjust the float out or in to get exact travel.

If this is a OEM type, bending the arm, can only get you close. Not exact.

Either way, I "jumper wire" over to the tank wires and TEST FULLY for operating the gauge---before I install it in the tank.

Remember the gauge moves slow---you may have to test Empty--1/4--1/2--3/4/--Full letting gauge react for 3-5 minutes, at levels, to get an accurate reading.

RESPOND?

The Medic
Saturday, June 19th, 2010 AT 11:12 PM
LANESTOYS@BELLSOUTH.NET
Thank u for your help! I do truly appreciate it. Glad there r still some real people out there who will go out of their way to help. TY so much.
+1
Sunday, June 20th, 2010 AT 8:14 AM