Another Jeep Cherokee Oil Pressure Problem

PHRENIC13
  • JEEP CHEROKEE
I just bought a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 L Inline 6 Cylinder Automatic 2 Wheel Drive. It has just under 65k miles and seemed to run great while test driving it, however after buying it I started noticing this problem.

When it warms up a bit and while its at idle it would drop to almost 0 psi of oil pressure and the check gauges light would come on. It had 20W50 oil in it and a Fram filter. My mechanic checked the pressure with a mechanical gauge which was reading exactly the same as the dash and then changed to a better filter and added 10W40. This seemed to help just a little, but not enough to keep it from dropping until the check gauges light came on. I took it back and they ended up installing a high volume oil pump. They also cleaned the pick up screen and tube and said the oil pan was very clean. I drove it for about 15 miles slow and fast, starting and stopping, in a hot South Alabama day and it didn't drop low enough for the light to come on, but it is only running at about 9 psi. I would like to know why it is only running at that level. Any help would be great and I hope I gave enough info.
By the way, the mechanic is a friend of mine and is super honest with everyone he deals with. They are loved by many.
Saturday, June 9th, 2007 AT 12:45 AM

HEAVYDUTY
Worn main bearings? Worn cam bearings?
Sunday, June 10th, 2007 AT 7:52 PM