See my profile, My neighbor had similar issue with his car.
We were able to remove both ends of the belt, by removing the back seat, and taking the anchors loose with a "Torx" bit and a ratchet ( thats how I got involved, he knew my CJ, had a Million Torx screws in it, I had the tools to remove them!)
We got it out, and played with it for a least an hour.
Ron was really "Crying" about it alot, gonna have to buy a new one and all! (as he does, whenever something of "HIS", is screwed up!)
Then we "chucked it up" in my vise, Female Down Male up [by chance] (as if male was pushed upward into the downward facing female)
Both of us : pushed, yanked, snatched on it, almost abused it, with a Rubber Mallet, Did 1st steps over and over.
And then something hit the floor.
It "Un-snapped" !!!
It started working.
ALL WAS FINE!!!
A DIME, FELL OUT OF THE FEMALE SIDE!
I hope this is your fix, but EZer than our wrestling match!
Let me know what it was, screwing Ya'll up!
Don't CRY, like Ron!
Sunday, April 25th, 2010 AT 4:59 AM