2002 Jeep Cherokee not shifting properly

REELWORLD64
  • 2002 JEEP CHEROKEE
My Jeep was running great, then one day I stopped at a light and when I accelerated again, it would not shift, the rpms just kept rising. I pulled over, went through the gears and when I went to the regular drive position the vehicle was starting out in 2 gear instead instead of first. Then it started operating correctly for two days and check engine light even went out. Now its doing the same thing again. Any idea what might be wrong? Thanks chris
Saturday, February 23rd, 2008 AT 7:48 PM

JACK42
For starters have the PCM (computer) scanned for codes, Autozone will do it for free. If the PCM sees a problem it will store a code that will help in diagnosing the problem, get back with the exact codes
Sunday, February 24th, 2008 AT 7:33 AM
REELWORLD64
Thanks for your super quick response. I did as you suggested and the codes that were saved are: P 1762, P1757 The Jeep seems to be running perfect for the last 3 days. I'm a part changer. Is this something I can fix? Thanks again, Chris
Monday, February 25th, 2008 AT 11:21 AM
JACK42
Those are both governer pressure codes, not real sure if it will be a DIY project to fix. Will require some diagnostic with a meter and scanner to fix, the only possibility in the list that looks easy, is to try a trans service it could set codes due to excessive debris in th etrans pan. Try a service first
Monday, February 25th, 2008 AT 11:48 AM
MERLIN2021
Can you fix transmissions? Both codes are for the governor and gov pressure.
Monday, February 25th, 2008 AT 12:26 PM
REELWORLD64
I'll take it to a shop. Auto zone's print out for both codes said poss bad connection or open circuit, I was hoping maybe just a electrical plug had come loose. Why do you think it has been running good for the last few days? Thanks Chris
Monday, February 25th, 2008 AT 1:09 PM
JACK42
Internmittent failure, these are the hardest to find. If it isnt acting up, the shop will test and all will be ok. Its actually better if it is acting up to have the shop check it then
Monday, February 25th, 2008 AT 1:44 PM