2001 Grand Cherokee Elec Cooling Fan Not Running

FLINGER
  • 2001 JEEP CHEROKEE
My wife has either a 2000 or a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The AC blows cold when at sustained high speeds but it blows hot at idle and the engine begins to overheat. I read about the cooling fan and I checked to see if it was running with the AC on, and it is not. I can spin it with my fingers so I know it isn't obstucted. It also has a rattle/jingle type of sound that I notice at slow speeds like in a parking lot. Does it sound like I need a new fan? Is that something I can do myself? I am fairly mechanical. Does it require special tools?
Friday, August 17th, 2007 AT 7:37 PM

DIPWEED23
First check the connections to the fan. If you can rig up a set of jumper wires with alagator clips you can test the fan by touching the wires directly to your battery for a second or two, just make sure you don't have anything in the way of the fan. They can cut your finger off, or hurt you pretty bad if not careful.

If it works, check fuses.
If all that fails, report back, and we'll go from there.
Saturday, August 18th, 2007 AT 1:57 AM