2000 Jeep Cherokee Won't Start

GLOSACCO`
  • 2000 JEEP CHEROKEE
2000 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

Car has been running just fine w/ 133K miles. Drove to the store about 20 mins away, no issues unless it being a cold winter day in SE Michigan counts. After shopping for about 2 hours, went to start the car and even though the engine turns over, it doesn't start.

First thoughts were possibly the fuel filter, water in the gas, loss of spark, or it was mentioned checking the Fuel Preasure Relay Switch. If there is such a thing, where would it be located?

As someone who knows very little to nithing about being a mechanic, except turning a wrench, changing oil and other such related tasks, I think I might be able to tackle this if I was pointed in the right direction.

Am I on the right track and if so, how would I check for these ideas or do you have other suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Greg
Wednesday, December 31st, 2008 AT 9:36 AM

JASONRAY
Can you operate a test light? If so, get one along with a helper. Go to the coil. It's on the passenger side of the engine. If you can't find it, follow the 'middle' plug wire from the distributor cap. It will lead you to the coil. Unplug it. Using your test light, connected to the NEG batt. Terminal, probe the green/orange wire. Have your helper spin the motor over. Did the light come on? That wire gets voltage from the Auto Shut Down relay(this relay also provides voltage to the fuel injectors using the same color wire). The relay will apply voltage to this wire as soon as you turn the key on for about 2 seconds unless the PCM recieves a signal from the crankshaft position sensor. If there is voltage on the green/orange wire, move the test light lead to the POSITIVE batt. Terminal. Probe the other wire in the connector. Have the helper spin the motor over again. Does the test light blink? Spin the motor several revolutions and make sure you the test light is contacting the metal terminal. If there is power on the first test and the light blinks on the second test, remove the coil wire from the distrubutor cap. (Plug the coil back in. That circuit is working if both tests were passed). Hold the coil wire close to a ground(engine block or bolt head) and have the helper spin the motor once again. Did you see spark jump from the wire? If not, replace the coil. If you did NOT see the test light blink, repost and I'll walk you through testing the crank sensor. If there was NO voltage on the green/orange wire, check ALL fuses and repost. We can fix this! I love JEEPS. They're one of my specialties. I'll be waiting to hear back.
Wednesday, December 31st, 2008 AT 6:31 PM