2000 Jeep Cherokee Sudden Cut Off

KIMBROWN
  • 2000 JEEP CHEROKEE
Car starts fine; no noise, smoke or leaks. I has just started to shut off suddenly without warning. I've taken it to be repaired; but I'm told that the car is fine. What do you think?
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009 AT 11:53 PM

Has the check engine light come on? Have you had the fuel pump pressure tested? Does it restart after this happens or do you need to wait?
Saturday, June 6th, 2009 AT 11:39 PM
KIMBROWN
It's usually without warning (no check engine light); happen again today. Was on the highway doing about 55 and it just shut down.

I don't remember the mechanic telling me that the fuel pump pressure was tested; but I will inquire again; and it usually start again after it sits for about 5-10 mins.

Somedays it runs all day with incident; and others it may shut down 3 times in a day.

Thanks for the reply :-)
Sunday, June 7th, 2009 AT 12:44 AM
Let me know what you find. If there is no light, I have a feeling it is fuel related. Does it have the normal amount of power?
Sunday, June 7th, 2009 AT 1:07 AM
KIMBROWN
It runs like a well oil machine; this shut off problem is the only defect. I have a '96 Jeep as well that runs without any issues (totally reliable); that's why I'm so boggle.

When it shut down today an officer came to my rescue; and he had the same fuel pump theory you had.

I will definitely keep you posted.
Sunday, June 7th, 2009 AT 1:22 AM
Let me know what you find. Here is a how to for checking fuel pump pressure if you want to try it yourself. Most parts stores will rent the gauge.

http://www.2carpros.com/dia/test_fuel_pressure.htm
Sunday, June 7th, 2009 AT 3:50 PM