2000 Jeep Cherokee not idling, slight knocking sound

VAL123
  • 2000 JEEP CHEROKEE
2000 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 200K miles

Hi, A month ago I got an oil flush at an oil change shop (didn't know even dealers don't flush engines - who do I trust.) Anyway, shortly after my engine started making a ticking or knocking sound.

I thought with 200,000+ miles on my jeep I was due for a flush. Now, my jeep won't idle at stops and the oil pressure gauge starts going down and then my little engine that could starts sounding like the little engine that couldn't, you know kind of like it's sad (sorry, I'm a woman, I deal with matters of the heart better than matters of metal :)

Anyway, what do you think?

Thanks for your help.
Monday, June 22nd, 2009 AT 9:20 AM

The flush shouldn't have hurt anything. How loud is the noise? Also, has the check engine light come on? Finally, has the oil pressure gauge ever dropped to a point that concerns you?
Thursday, June 25th, 2009 AT 12:19 AM
VAL123
Hi. Thank you for your response.

The noise was never very loud and seems to come and go.

The check engine light never went on.

The oil pressure gauge would start dropping at a stop light to where I would get nervous but if I gassed the car, it would come back up. My jeep was at the point of stalling out if I didn't press on the gas.

So, here's what it was.

I ended up taking it to a jeep dealer and spoke with the manager who had summoned a technician to speak with me (I had called and spoken with the manager, not knowing who I was speaking to, about my problem earlier in the day.) Anyway, the tech concluded that what I had was a stalling problem and said he's pretty sure it was the IAC motor.

He did a diagnosis, saw there was a problem with the IAC, took it out, said the spring or whatever it's called was not going back in, he replaced my IAC motor and whalla! No more stalling problem!

It's funny how thrilled I am now at stopping at red lights just to hear my mean machine back to it's old mean self (as in still powerful and at 200,000+ miles!)

Thanks for helping out. I hope this summary is able to help others, too.
Thursday, June 25th, 2009 AT 10:33 AM
I'm glad you got it fixed. THe reason I asked about the engine light was to help determine if it was an Idle air control valve (IAC) or the throtle position sensor (TPS). Both can cause this type of problem.

THanks for your reply. I'm sure it will help others.
Thursday, June 25th, 2009 AT 8:56 PM