2000 Jeep Cherokee leaking coolant

FLAURIEM
  • 2000 JEEP CHEROKEE
My jeep is leaking coolant the resavior is always empty and the radiator remains full of green fluid even though I add plain water daily. I have a pressure release cap on the radiator and there is never no pressure coming out of the lid. I had an estimate and I was told that the water pump and the radiator need to be replaced. 2 months ago the controls onn my steering wheel went out i.E. Cruise control etc. I had the fuses checked and was told they were fine, but this problem began the same time the power went out. Does the water pump require electricity?
Friday, October 24th, 2008 AT 4:01 PM

Hi:
It sounds like you have a leak somewhere. Next, does the vehicle ever overheat? If not, I wouldn't imagine that both the waterpump and radiator need replaced.

As far as the pump, no it doesn't require electric to work. It runs off a belt that is turned by the engine.

I want you to try something. First, find cardboard or newspaper and place it under the car's engine compartment. Par the jeep over it while the engine is still warm. Make sure that none of the cardboard or paper touches anything hot. Allow the Jeep to sit overnight and check for leaks or spots of coolant in the morning. Let me know what you find.

Also, it's unlikely that you would feel pressure being released from the rad cap. Also, the water may be gone because the radiator is drawing it in. The coolant will still remain green. However, once you reach 50% water and keep adding, it will become weaker against freezing / boiling.

Let me know what you find, and I will be able to help you better.

Friday, October 24th, 2008 AT 5:01 PM
JNOVACK
Yes do what Jacobandnickolas said and as for the controls on steering wheel is the airbag light on?
Friday, October 24th, 2008 AT 5:07 PM
FLAURIEM
Yes it is
Saturday, October 25th, 2008 AT 8:44 PM
JNOVACK
Ok since the airbag light is on the controls on steering wheel it is caused by the clock-spring under steering wheel do not attempt to change until battery has been dissconected for 10 min. Then the airbag can be removed it has 2 screws on back side of steering wheel then remove wheel you will have to buy a steering wheel puller there about $15.00 at just about every parts store then after removing the wheel you have access to clock-spring remove screws and very very carefully put new on and insall in reverse order
Sunday, October 26th, 2008 AT 7:01 PM