1999 Jeep Cherokee Ignition switch - key will not turn to s

DGBIRDIE
  • 1999 JEEP CHEROKEE
The key cannot be turned either way to start the truck or to "ACC". The steering wheel is not locked and trying to turn it does not allow you to turn the key to start the truck.

Please provide any suggestions.
Friday, December 19th, 2008 AT 9:20 AM

RACEFAN966
It sounds like a ignition lock cylinder problem. If nothing is locked up and the steering wheel is not putting pressure on it and the shifter is all the way in park then I would think it is the lock and tumbler in the key switch itself. Have you tried to move it from park to neutral and back to see if this changes anything? Hope this helps Thanks and have a great day.
Friday, December 19th, 2008 AT 10:44 AM
DGBIRDIE
I tried to move it from Park to Neutral and was unable to move the shifter.

Does this change the diagnoses?
Friday, December 19th, 2008 AT 11:12 AM
RACEFAN966
You did step on the brake before trying to move the shifter? Let me know as this may change things.
Saturday, December 20th, 2008 AT 9:01 AM
DGBIRDIE
Yes.I stepped on the brake before trying to move the shifter to "N".
Saturday, December 20th, 2008 AT 9:29 AM
RACEFAN966
Sorry my bad if the key won't turn then you can't get it out of park. I had to go check on my wife's 99 G. Cherokee sorry. So no we are back at the original problem. Ok to remove it you need to be able to turn it and you can not so I am not sure how to help you to remove it so you can replace the Lock Cylinder. Have you tried to use some lock ease? If you can get it to turn then you can replace it otherwise you will need to get it to a shop to do it. The key is in good shape it isn't bent or anything is it?
Saturday, December 20th, 2008 AT 7:58 PM