1998 Jeep Cherokee grinding noise still while driving

PORTHOS1
  • 1998 JEEP CHEROKEE
  • AWD
I have had talked to a tech on here before and still have the same issue. I have a grinding or rubbing noise in rear brakes. I have narrowed it down to parking brakes. I replaced calipers, discs, rotors, parking brake shoes and hardware. Still grinding. The reason I say parking brakes is when I remove them and just put back rotors and spin it. No noise. I have even went back to the auto parts place thinking my shoes for the parking where wrong. There not. I even tried mixing them up. Like the shoes were left or right. Still the same results. Please help. One thing to note here that might help it made same noise before brakes were changed. But worse.
Thursday, August 27th, 2009 AT 8:49 PM

SERVICE WRITER
I have run into problems with some aftermarket parking brake shoes. Might be worth trying oem or at least picking up another set and then going to the dealer to compare them.

I have also had problems with some of the less expensive brake parts and ended up having to go to the premium ones that I normally use.

Might want to check the lateral runout and see if the axle may be bent.
Friday, August 28th, 2009 AT 5:49 AM
PORTHOS1
I will try to see if I was giving wrong parking brakes shoes. The only question is that the noise I hear now is the noise I heard before I did any brake repair. Now with that said, I have wondered if it wasnt the brakes but I have removed the parking brakes shoes and put the wheel on and problem solved. Which leads me to the question. Could the parking brake be stuck on a little. The reason I ask is that the shoes that were on it before were welded on to the rotor and everything was so rusted. And when the shoes are in place as new its like the shoes need to be adjusted down but cant. Because they are as small as the adjustment screw will go. Just a thought.
-2
Friday, August 28th, 2009 AT 6:59 AM
SERVICE WRITER
OR the linings are too thick. That was they problem I had.A few times. The brand I got.(I think it was Napa) were too thick. The problem was more severe in that I couldn't get the rotor back on.

However if the same noise was there before, Than I would go back to checking the lateral runout to see if the axle shaft is bent and causing oblong movement of the hub.
-1
Friday, August 28th, 2009 AT 6:51 PM
PORTHOS1
I got your response about it being the shafts. Makes total sense. I just woke up to tell you that after at least 10 hours of thought. When I put on the parking brake shoes and hook up all the hardware and put on the adjustment screw and makes the brake shoes be out more than the top part. I know this to be true cause there is kinda of a little circle on the cover that surrounds the rotor when installed. And If I remove the screw and let the shoes go back in. No noise. So could I have maybe the wrong rotors?

The noise before this all happen was worse. But what I found would make sense for it to be noisy then. The inner shoes were broken and practically welded to the rotors. And all the parts were rusty. Rotors were past shot. I replace all but its just that oval looking brakes shoes. It has to be something simple.

I do heating and air for a living and when its bad you know it but when it seems easy it knaws the crap out of ya.

I appreciate your help. I know I wrote alot but just want to sleep. Let me know your thoughts.
-1
Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 12:54 AM
SERVICE WRITER
Did you re-adjust the cable?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_cher_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_che1_1.jpg

Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 10:25 AM
PORTHOS1
Adjusted the cable. Same problem. I am just figuring that it must be rear end or axle. The noise is there when I am in neutral or in gear. Normal speeds you hear it. You dont hear outside the vehicle as it goes. It doesnt stay the same pitch. It just makes this noise like when you have a low tire or flat. Or the shoe in the dryer. Totally lost.
-1
Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 4:41 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Well if you removed the adjuster and the noise stops, then it has to be a shoe/drum, contact is what I see with this.

One thought is to mist some flat black paint over the shoes, put it together, run it, pull it apart and look for where paint rubbed off. After you resolve it, sand off the light coat of paint.
-1
Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 5:54 PM
PORTHOS1
You might of missed my response. I adjusted the brake cable and it made no difference. I had my wife drive me around while I sat in the back and listen. The noise is there around 10mph and above. I have put the whole vehicle on jack stands and plan on running it in gear so maybe I can pinpoint it. I even dumped out the rear gear oil and rechanged it. Any clues?
-1
Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 11:16 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Doesn't this suggest a contact between the shoes and something. Rotor?
-1
Sunday, August 30th, 2009 AT 10:13 AM