1997 Jeep Cherokee Transmission not shifting

JADAMSON
  • 1997 JEEP CHEROKEE
I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee that seems to have a very similar problem as most people are having. My jeep will shift into 1st and second okay but when it does to third I have to rev the engine up to high rpm's before it clicks over, and usually more than one time. When its cold its worse. Now, when I try to go in reverse I have to start the car, let it warm up for a sec and then shift into reverse, sometimes its smooth and sometimes I have to rev the engine to make it jerk into reverse. The engine light is on and the trouble code is 37 and the OBDII code is p0740 or something to that effect. Please help!
Wednesday, December 9th, 2009 AT 10:07 PM

BMRFIXIT
1st step with this code should be removing and replacing the output speed sensor
i would replace the input and output sensor

P0740 OUTPUT SPEED (OS) SENSOR
The OS sensor is mounted in adapter housing or extension housing. The OS sensor is an input device consisting of a speed sensor rotor and speed sensor. Speed sensor rotor is mounted on transmission output shaft. Input signal is delivered from OS sensor to TCM with each revolution of transmission output shaft. The TCM uses input signal for controlling transmission operation (shift points and TCC engagement).
Friday, December 11th, 2009 AT 4:52 PM
JADAMSON
First I thank you for your help. If this does fix my car I plan on donating more money to help you guys out.

I do have a question though. When I looked up P0740 it talked about "Relationship between engine and vehicle speeds indicated failure of torque convertor clutch lock-up system (TCC/PTU sol)." Will the (OS) sensor fix this problem also? For $18.00 at my local Autozone it is worth a shot and I will try it at least. I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

-Jason
+1
Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 11:36 PM
BMRFIXIT
Remove transmission oil pan and check for burnt oil or debris. If excessive debris and/or burnt oil is present, repair internal transmission problem
if not replace sensor and road test
Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 6:18 AM