HEADLIGHTS NOT WORKING

1996 Jeep Cherokee

shadetreemechanic44

March, 22, 2008 AT 12:40 PM

1996 Jeep Cherokee V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 165000 miles

Recently my battery has been dead. After I charge the battery fully, the headlights will not turn on when switch is in automatic or on position. The headlights will operate with the dimmer/turn signal switch pulled. When dimmer switch is returned to normal position, headlights go out. Recently I have had to drive home in the evening holding the headlights switch back on high beams to have lights. What could be the problem.

mastertechtim

March, 22, 2008 AT 7:13 PM

Have you checked the low beam light bulbs? Often times I have customers that think they have a wiring problem but its just bulbs. If the lights are ok, I will walk you through diagnosing the electrical problem. Get back to me.

shadetreemechanic44

March, 23, 2008 AT 9:02 AM

I have checked the power at the headlights with the switch in the on position and the plug removed from the headlight I checked all terminals to ground with a volt meter and had no voltage at the light connector plug.

mastertechtim

March, 23, 2008 AT 11:30 AM

Ok I just researched the wiring schematic and I found that your problem is the headlight switch. Its cut and dry that the problem is the switch and not a wiring problem. Hope this helps.

mastertechtim

March, 23, 2008 AT 11:32 AM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/139033_hd_1.jpg

Side Marker Bulb Replacement Mini Cooper
DRL Light Bulb Replacement
Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro