1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Speedometer problems

Hi There,

Here is my question. I have recently bought a used 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When my wife and I took the jeep on the highway, I noticed that it seemed like we were going slow compared to the other cars. I had the curise set at 120km/hour. I didn't think much of it. Since then the transfer case on the Jeep died, so I replaced it with a used one from a Junk yard. The speed senor is located in the transfer case, and I left the one that came with the new transfer case in it.

The other day I was driving and the police had a digtal sign set up saying. Speed Limit 50 - Your speed "61" However when I looked at my speedometer it said like 75. We can talk about the fact I was speeding later. After that I got my brother in law to follow me in his car. When I was doing 120km he was doing 103. That is alot!

The only other thing that I did is replace the tires with a different size, BUT, I used a web site to figure out the percent I would be out. And it was like 2.1% The Jeep manual says the truck requires 215/75R15 and I put on 205/75R15.

My question is, could the tire size be causing the problem and the web site was wrong. Because I have had two speed senors in the truck now and same problem.

Or Could the problem be in my dash?
Thanks Again, I look forward to your thoughts.

Sunday, May 6th, 2007 AT 8:42 AM

Call jeep service and ask if speedo can be re-calibrated.

Monday, May 7th, 2007 AT 3:05 PM