1993 Jeep Cherokee Engine wont start

CLEWIN
  • 1993 JEEP CHEROKEE
MY Jeep ran fine yesterday, it fired on the first crank many times, and ran with out a problem, this morning it will not fire. The Starter is truning the engine fine adn I can smell that I have flooded the engine after multiple atttempts to start it. I have also changes the fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs and distributer cap. But still wont start
Thursday, June 11th, 2009 AT 10:07 AM

Hello, disable the fuel system, so you don't flood it during cranking. With the vehicle cranking, did you check for spark at the plugs?

You might also check for trouble codes.
Thursday, June 11th, 2009 AT 10:47 AM
GARYB10
  • 1993 JEEP CHEROKEE
Turned the Jeep off and when I tried to restart it it made a loud noise like the starter does when your battery is to low to crank. Check the battery and it was fine (only 2 months old). Accidentally left the head lights on and killed the battery. I had a a friend jump the car and it started fine. I drove it home and charged the battery. It would not start again with the battery fully charged and I have replaced the start and checked the relay. Still makes the same noise when turning the ignition switch.
Friday, July 28th, 2017 AT 4:30 PM (Merged)
SDJOHNSTON
  • 1993 JEEP CHEROKEE
1993 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

Headlights Blink, disconnect battery, still will not start, is there a switch on back hatch? Can it be BCM or security system? Single mom, need cheap fix!
See my profile, I assume it won't even turn over, pick through this, it may help...OR NOT...Special Attention to all Mechanical Electrical Joints!

I do not know your rig.......your solenoid is a newer style.......Just going thru these motions may help you.

You may need a New Solenoid

To keep me from hunting and pecking all night, I grabbed an answer, I gave to somebody else.

Let me know if it helped you!

If the "CRAP" on down doesn't help, It could be the "cable" to the starter (clean/tighten) or the solenoid itself----even the starter......Try this stuff below 1st!!!

TAKE STUFF LOOSECLEANTIGHTEN WELLDO NOT JUST PASS IT OFF AS, "IT LOOKS GOOD".

Do not leave off where the Battery cables connect to the Battery clamps! (not the posts) Do them too!

While you are at it, Both ends of Pos cable, Both ends of NEG cable.

If you still have the problem, you're probably looking at $20 to replace the SOLENOID. Follow Battery Positive cable to find it.

My stuff may be OVERKILL, but at least you will know what everything is and does.

Like my newly made "NELSOMATIC" stuff? I am cyber stupid, and did that! Keeps me from hunt and pecking so much!

Please Reply, Good or Bad.

I will continue to try to help you through your whole ordeal, even if this didn't help you. Just continue to Reply at "reply to question".

Follow POS BATT CABLE, It will end up here, at the SOLENOID, looks vary, function is the same.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/411289_A_B_C_D_EXPLANATION_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/411289_A_B_C_D_17_LOCATIONS_2.jpg

"FORD TYPE" SOLINOID SYSTEM, YOUR ACCES., MAY VARY

1) POSITIVE CABLE FROM BATTERY

2) OUT TO STARTER MOTOR

3) ON MY JEEP, THIS GOES TO THE ALTERNATOR

4) THIS FEEDS MY FUSEBOX (ALL OF MY ACCESSORIES)

5) "S" WIRE IS FROM KEY, 12V ONLY WHILE YOU ARE "CRANKING"

THIS WIRE ACTIVATES THE SOLINOID'S ELECTROMAGNET, WHICH IN TURN, CONNECTS---A & B INTERNALLY (ONLY THE 2 LARGE GAUGE CABLES CAN HANDLE THE AMPERAGE THE STARTER "PULLS").

WHEN THE SOLENOID IS ACTIVATED, IT THROWS 12V TO STARTER USING THE LARGE GAUGE CABLES (1) POS FROM BATT--THRU SOLENOID INTERNAL CONNECTION--(2) TO THE STARTER, WHILE KEY IS IN "CRANKING" MODE.

THIS IS THE TOTAL REASON FOR A SOLINOID, BECAUSE IT WOULD NOT BE PRACTICAL, TO RUN THE HEAVY CABLES TO AND FROM YOUR KEY SWITCH.

6) "I" WIRE (OPTIONAL), FEEDS COIL "FULL 12V", ONLY WHILE "CRANKING", AFTER YOU RELEASE THE KEY, THE COIL REVERTS BACK TO REDUCED VOLTAGE, SUPPLIED BY YOUR KEY IN THE "RUN" POSITION.

7) "MOUNT" GROUND, UNIT MUST HAVE A GOOD GROUND (BATT. TO ENGINE, ENGINE TO FRAME, FRAME TO BODY [ALL MUST CONNECT, SOMEHOW] )

(3 & 4, ON MY JEEP) ARE FUSABLE LINKS, ALL ARE NOT MARKED, MY #3 IS, #4 IS NOT....ITS SORT OF A "WIRE" FUSE.

IF THEY ARE GOOD, TUGGING ON THEM WILL BE JUST LIKE A WIRE, WHEN THEY ARE "BURNED UP", THEY WILL STRETCH OUT LKE A RUBBER BAND
SDJOHNSTON
There is no key fob to the vehicle soI disconnected the security sys in overhead reset sys by disconnecting battery, waiting 90 seconds, and reconnecting battery. Jeep started engine runs great! This is more than the shadetree mechanic down the street did! But then the real trouble started, the starter engaged while the engine was running! Problem seems to have something to do with the power locks. Its as if the polarity was reversed when I disabled the security sys. Instead of shutting the engine off, it fired up the starter. The key would not turn it off, disconnecting the battery did not stop it either. I had to remove a fuse under the hood and the car finally cut off. As long as I don't mess with the locks there's no problem, the car runs great, . So far, but then how many six year old boys can keep their little hands off buttons. HELP!
Friday, July 28th, 2017 AT 4:31 PM (Merged)
If you saw my profile, I'm more of a CJ guy than anything else.

I do not know your rig much, but thought I might aid you.

As for my experience with Ford type starting systems.

My HYPOTHISISISISIS IS, as follows, (only assuming)

1) You need a manual, You needed one the day you got that Puppy. It can tell you stuff---that no one else can, and give you drawings and pics. Read thru it. Do not jump around!

2) I cannot conceive anything interferring with the wire to "S" Terminal. Unless wires were tied into it, that should not be.I am a CJ Guy?

3) If that had happened in my CJ, I would look to see if the correct wire was on "S", no one had swapped them. If that were good

Next I would insure that there is no connection between POSTS "A" and "C" on my CJ Pic, this is the way you REMOTE START, with a Screwdriver

Then I would replace the Solenoid 'Cause the internal Plates were STUCK or Welded together (the Contacts Inside)

That is almost all I can offer to help you, for we are getting out of my comfort range, and into my ignorant range!

Heres the last I can offer you. You are on your own, but you may be able to help yourself.

A) Look thru posts gone by, for same or similar problems (there are alot of posts!) Unfortunatly some say stuff like, "55 BC Cherokee" OR "3022 Cherokee Needs Help"those you cannot read the problem, from the forum list, the only way to see them is open 'em up. Slow going!

B) A resource you have never considered----You may have to REWORD to get what you want. And click around alot. But they will ALWAYS! Give you a result. And that's no FECAL MATTER!

YOU TUBE!

I pride myself in being a SELF CERTIFIED REAR LAWN VEHICLE TECHNICIAN

After you realize, How smart of a feller I am,

"FEEDBACK" Section, at the Top, will let you praise me. Please out do the last guy!

The Medic
JETMECH198
  • 1993 JEEP CHEROKEE
1993 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 90,000 miles

I have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee that will not start, I have fault codes of 12, 11, 55. I have check for spark and fuel and have niether. When I turn on the ignition I can hear the fuel pump relay kick on but then instanly turns off, but I get fuel preasure for that split second when the relay kicks on. I have read many forums and decided to change the crank shaft positon sensor, so I did and had no luck and still have the same problems. Is it possible that the pick up coil could cause no ignition and no fuel, or do you think it may be the ECM. I live in Japan and parts are hard to come by. Any troubleshooting tips would be apreciated.
MERLIN2021
Code 11= No cranking reference signal at PCM.
Code 12= Battery disconnected in last 50 starts.
TEST NS-1A - QUALIFYING NO-START CONDITION 1. Turn ignition off. Disconnect any spark plug cable at spark plug. Insert an insulated screwdriver in spark plug cable terminal. Hold screwdriver within 1/4" of ground. 2. While cranking engine for 10 seconds, watch for spark. If a good spark occurs, go to TEST NS-2A. If a good spark does not occur, reconnect spark plug cable. Disconnect another spark plug cable at spark plug, and repeat test. 3. If a good spark occurs, go to TEST NS-2A. If a good spark does not occur, turn ignition off. Remove coil cable from distributor cap. Hold cable within 1/4" of ground. While cranking engine for 10 seconds, watch for spark. If good spark does not occur, go to next step. If good spark occurs, repair distributor cap, rotor or spark plug cables as necessary. Perform TEST VER-1. 4. Turn ignition off. Remove coil cable from coil. Using an external ohmmeter, check resistance of coil cable. If resistance is more than 15,000 ohms, replace coil cable. If resistance is less than 15,000 ohms, remove distributor cap. While cranking engine, watch distributor rotor. If distributor rotor turns, go to next step. If distributor rotor does not turn, repair distributor drive system as necessary. Perform TEST VER-1. 5. Install distributor cap and coil cable. Disconnect ignition coil connector. Inspect ignition coil connector for damaged or pushed-out terminals. Repair as necessary. Perform TEST VER-1. If ignition coil connector terminals are okay, go to next step. 6. Turn ignition on. Using DRB-II, actuate ASD fuel system. While actuating ASD fuel system, put DRB-II in voltmeter mode. Using DRB-II, check voltage on ASD relay connector output circuit(Dark Green/Orange wire on XJ and YJ bodies or Dark Green/Black wire on ZJ body). If voltage is more than 10 volts, go to next step. If voltage is less than 10 volts, repair open in Dark Green/Orange wire on XJ and YJ bodies or Dark Green/Black wire on ZJ body. Perform TEST VER-1. 7. Using DRB-II, check voltage on ASD relay connector ignition coil driver circuit (Gray wire on XJ and YJ bodies or Gray/White wire on ZJ body). If voltage is more than 10 volts, replace ignition coil. Perform TEST VER-1. If voltage is less than 10 volts, turn ignition off. Go to next step. 8. Disconnect Powertrain Control Module (PCM) connector. Using DRB-II in ohmmeter mode, check resistance at terminal No. 19 of PCM connector (Gray wire on XJ and YJ bodies or Gray/White wire on ZJ body). If resistance is more than 5 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is less than 5 ohms, repair short to ground in Gray wire on XJ and YJ bodies or Gray/White wire on ZJ body. Perform TEST VER-1. 9. Using an external ohmmeter, check resistance between ignition coil connector (Gray wire on XJ and YJ bodies or Gray/White wire on ZJ body), and PCM connector terminal No. 19. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in Gray wire on XJ and YJ bodies or Gray/White wire on ZJ body. Perform TEST VER-1. If resistance is less than 5 ohms, replace PCM. Perform TEST VER-1. CAUTION: When checking for spark, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) damage may occur if spark plug cable is held more than 1/4" away from ground. NOTE: When checking for spark, consider one or 2 sparks as a no-spark condition. Page 1 of 1 TESTS W/CODES - 2.5L & 4.0L -1993 Jeep Cherokee
MERLIN2021
Connector identification...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_93_Cherokee_PCM_1.jpg

MARTINALDERMAN
  • 1993 JEEP CHEROKEE
Computer problem
1993 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

one year ago, the pcm and the cps were replaced (mopar parts). Before and after the car seemed to take a few revolutions to start. Recently noticed vehicle starting to cut out momentarily at speeds in excess of 55 mph. This symp was what requirec the previous install of the pcm and cps. Today I replaced the dist ahd the cam pos sensor, new cap and rotor. I checked the coil (has spark), timming is correct and the fule pump and injectors are functioning. I have also inspected all breakers and fuses both inside the cabbin and the engine compartment, all appeared ok. I also check all wire / weatherpac connectons. No frays, burn thru or other visible anomolys. What have I missed. Please help ! Thanks
Martin
EVERWONDERYME
  • 1993 JEEP CHEROKEE
1993 Jeep Cherokee V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

My 93 grand cherokee will not start. I put in all new relays, crank senser, coil, plugs, wires, cap n all. If I turn the key on to start, I have to wait afew minutes for the relays to kick in. Now after my dash lights go out, my security light comes on. I get no spark. The relays would sound like a fuel pump taping away before, after they stopep taping I could start my jeep and had no trouble. Now I stoped and let it run and it died. Does anyone Know how to disable the security system on a 93 grand cherokee limited 5.2? I tried the locks and it did not work.
BMRFIXIT
Check fuses
and if all ok you have a wiring issue check the wiring
JACK42
Intermittent problems like this are very difficult to find. Try an ASD (Auto-shutdown relay). Sometimes they will start to go bad and they will momentarily lose connection, causing the vehicleto shut down for a second. Sometimes you have to wait for a real failure to know what is wrong since it wont do it all of the time
CHARETTEM
  • 1993 JEEP CHEROKEE
1993 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 1993, with 140k, the jeep had sat for about a year and a half with about 1/8 tank of gas in it, the fuel filter that it came with was pretty clogged to the point that eventually it caused my jeep to not start, I went ahead and replaced it, it started right up and ran great! I parked it, and now it wont start again, I figured maybe this filter clogged up too so I changed it, but when I cut into it it was clean, and the jeep will not start with the new filter either. There is fuel going to the engine and the pressure is perfect. What could be wrong?
RLKD
  • 1993 JEEP CHEROKEE
1993 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100, 00 miles

Here is the symptom

1. A few of weeks ago, out of the blue, I turn the ignition and absolute silence - no engine crank, no slow start, nothing. Battery is fine (verified with meter). Dashboard lights come on

2. The AAA guy looks at it and then pushes on the starter thingie while I turn the ignition key and the vehicle starts.

The problem does not manifest again and I ignore it. This morning, the same symptom and the same resolution.

My questions:

a. Is the starter gone bad or the starter solenoid bad? How do I determine what is broken?

B. Is something else leading to this issue?

-kd

1. Is the
MERLIN2021
When you say he pushed on the starter thingie? Do you mean he tapped the starter with some type of a tool? Not even a clicking noise? Replace relay or check battery cables. Starter and solinoid may be a one piece part on yours, on the starer if there are more that one wire going to it, the solinoid is mounted on it. And will come as part of the new starter. Autozone will test it before you buy the new one if you ask them.
There is fuel going to the engine and the pressure is perfect. What could be wrong? Could be no spark check it
CFASTIGE
  • 1993 JEEP CHEROKEE
1993 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 180k miles

above vehicle made a 550mi trip, then on the way back stopped at a rest area, sputtered and died. After about ten tries got going again. Would sputter when I let off the gas and babied it home. Has not started since. Repaced plugs, cap rotor, nothing. Everything and everyone pointed to fuel pump, so replaced. Still nothing. Cranks as if about to start, but doesn't. Everyonce in a while the airbox will 'pop'. Any other advice? Please help
Are you getting spark and fuel? Lets try below and get back with me

disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it
RLKD
Yes, there is absolutely no sound - no clicking either. Battery cables are good and battery charge is good too.

He basically tapped/prodded the starter. At this point two different tow truck drivers have done this tapping to get the jeep started :-)