1993 Jeep Cherokee 4cy 5spd manual

93JPCH
  • 1993 JEEP CHEROKEE
I'm having trouble shifting into first gear and reverse. No grinding going into first, but unless it is off and I put it into first with the engine off, it is VERY hard to shift into first when starting out for the day or going from a dead stop nuetral to first gear. I usually just put it into first when I'm slowing down to stop at about 5 mph or so. Goes into first very easily, then ease off the brake or keep the clutch depressed. Reverse is a different story. Grinding. I do the same thing. Put it into reverse when the engine off when I have to back out somewhere after parking. I know these are temp solutions to a bigger problem, but what could be wrong and what might the cost of repair be? This baby has 139k on it, but engine is strong and quiet.
Tuesday, September 25th, 2007 AT 12:36 PM

WMARSHY
I have two 96 cherokee 4 cyl 5 speed and both are the same but maybe not as bad. What I would suggest not using first for downshifting. If you cant get it into first from a stand still, I would go from neutral into second then into first (while stopped). For reverse mine is picky. Mine will always grind unless im at a complete stop and then sometime then too. One way to get around that is to double clutch. Let the clutch all the way out in neutral then push back in and put in reverse. It might grind even then but if you wait a few seconds after pushing the clutch back in it wont do it (try the same for first gear it may help). Repeat this if it still wont go in.
Good Luck :)
Monday, December 10th, 2007 AT 8:52 PM