1992 Jeep Cherokee Trouble Starting

BOBBYHANAN
  • 1992 JEEP CHEROKEE
The Jeep won't start unless the key is left in the "on" position for several to many minutes. The colder it is the longer it can take, up to 10 min. For the fuel pump to go on. Both the fuel pump and the relay have been changed. I started to read on some forum about someone else who had a similar problem. They did something with a security system and the problem went away? Can't find the site. Two mechanics are stumped. I started it the other day in 70 degree weather after waiting a few minutes. Then it runs fine and will restart all day long while it is in use. If it sit for a length of time, especially cold weather, your are back to waiting. Any help will be appreciated.
Tuesday, April 29th, 2008 AT 4:58 PM

D5NUKE
Sounds like a starter solenoid issue. When you go to the on position do you hear any thing click like the starter solenoid? When warm they tend to engage easier. When to hot you get starter heat soak and its hard for the starter to turnover.

I would pull the starter and have it tested while its cold as you said its harder to start when cold but good when hot.
Tuesday, April 29th, 2008 AT 10:22 PM