1988 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 4.0 160,000 miles

• 1 POST

I am having a starting problem with my jeep it will crank over just fine but it does not start it is not getting any spark what do I do to determine what is causing the loss of spark it also has a fairly new crank position sensor any suggestions

Tuesday, March 20th, 2007 AT 9:20 PM

• 13 POSTS

I had the same issue & I swore up and down it wasnt the crank sensor (as I replaced it twice), but in the end it was my installation of that sensor that was the problem.

Question: Who installed the sensor? Was it working fine after the new sensor was isntalled or did it fail to start even after installation?

If you installed the sensor then its possible that it just isnt seated right. This stupid thing only has to be off my a micro hair to not work. If it started after you changed it, but now doesnt, it may have "wiggled" loose. If it never started after replacement, then it probably isnt seated right.

A good way to determine if its a crank sensor is if the jeep doesnt start randomly; i.E. It can go a week w/o an issue then all the sudden out of the blue it wont start, then itll go another week before doing it again. If the problem only happened once or twice in a month then seemed to get gradually more frequent over a time until it is doing it multiple times a day, then 99.9% of the time its that damn crank sensor.

One thing I do is to give the wire harness that runs from it up to the engine compartment (towards the rear of the engine on the driver side firewall behind or next to the valve cover) a slight tug or two and then try to start it again. If it starts after that, it is the sensor

Friday, March 21st, 2008 AT 6:56 PM