1985 Jeep Cherokee

SCHAFD50
  • 1985 JEEP CHEROKEE
   Hi my transmission has been leaking for a while now, from the trans pan.   I have tried to reseal it once then I just had a mechanic do it also.   It still leaks, but now im hearing a ticking noise.   I thought it was an exhaust leak until I relized it only makes the noise when its in Reverse, Neutral, Drive.   So I left it in neutral then crawled under and the noise is coming from the trans.   When I first start driving the truck it doesn't make the noise, but after about a minute it starts ticking.   When I come to a stop the noise quiets but its still there.   I know I have a problem with my torque converter draing back into the trans.   What do you think is causing the noise is it my torque converter or internal in the trans.   Also what would something like this cost to have a mechanic fix? If you don't email this can you please email it to me it will be easier for me schafd50@yahoo. Com
Thursday, April 24th, 2008 AT 10:02 PM

JACK42
Couldl be caused by a weak/broken spring in the trans letting a valve shuttle back and forth. Have you had a trans shop look at it? Isit full of fluid? Does it do it when hot and cold? If the converter is draining dawn overnight, you may never be able to stop it from leaking. WWhen thta happens, it puts several extra quarts of fluid into the trans
Friday, April 25th, 2008 AT 7:35 AM