1997 Jaguar XJ6 Non starting

SHORTYPANTS
  • 1997 JAGUAR XJ6
I recently acquired a jaguar XJ6 Executive. 1997

Since acquiring it I had front and rear distance sensors fitted.

On occasions the car doesn't start.

It is as if it has been immobilised. Nothing happens when the ignition is turned on - all panel lights are as normal.

There is no consistency about when it might not work. It works perfectly most of the time. It will then suddenly not start for no apparant reason.

It could take hours of intermittantly trying the ignition and then it works perfectly (without having done anything other than to keep trying it).

I thought that it might be the security fob on the key ring so I started using the spare one - no difference.

After some time and numerous attempts to start it may just start without anything in particular having been done.

On one occasion I had called the Automobile Association Call out and the gentleman worked on it for about an hour without success - he tried battery and checking fuses and stuff. We called a car transporter to take it home and as the transporter arrived - I tried to turn the key and it started up no bother.

Any ideas guys?

Friday, July 17th, 2009 AT 2:57 PM

DAVE H
Check/replace the ignition switch?
Sunday, October 25th, 2009 AT 8:02 AM