1996 Jaguar XJ6 Car won't start

ROYALTEE
  • 1996 JAGUAR XJ6
Electrical problem? / Ignition? / Starter?
1996 Jaguar XJ6 150000 miles

I have a 96 xj6. When I turned the ignition to start the car nothing happened. The interior dash lights came on, but the car didn't turn over. I replaced the battery, as I have done 2 times in the past year, but still nothing happened even when I initially tried to jump the car battery. I did notice that the interior dome light doesn't come on, but the map lights do, as well as the headlights, but I can't change them from low to hi. Also the car doesn't respond to the electrical door opener when I use the key. I have to manually unlock all the doors instead of them all opening when I normally open the door with the key. Is this an elctrical issue or should I try another battery? Any ideas? It did seem strange that I had to change the battery twice before.
Thursday, September 4th, 2008 AT 8:36 AM

JAMES W.
First question. Why did you have to change batteries? What was wrong with them? This may be a clue. Next, battery fully charged and are you in park or neutral? If yes. When you turn to start, do you hear any click or a buzzing noise under the hood? If yes, check battery voltage as you try to start. It should not drop below 12 volts. If it does, your battery is not fully chargred or is bad. (If this is your 3rd battery and it is bad, that is another issue. There has to a reason why.) IF no click, check start relay under the dash on passenger side for voltage in and out as you try to start. If yes, check voltage from battery to soledoid at solenoid (large brn wire) for 12 volts. Yes? Then check small wire to solenoid (wht) for 12 volts as you try to start. If yes, Your solenoid or starter or both are probably bad. If no, It may be the neutral safety switch or the ignition switch. This is rare but it does happen. Hope this helps.
+3
Friday, October 3rd, 2008 AT 12:37 PM
ELITEPHPCODER
Hey today I got in my car, first thing I noticed was the power locks didnt work when I turned the key, then when I put the key in and when to start it, nothing happend starter did not even try to crank, also my dome lights come on but cant change them to high, my headlights come on but only the PARKING lights, the actual low/high beam does not work Also the car alarm is not working, the master door lock/unlock is not working.

Ive checked the relays and couldnt find any problems. I think there is a possible bad ground or Engine ECM module but I dont know what/where the module is that controls all of this stuff and im scared to take it to the dealer, they might charge me more then the car is worth to fix it.

Did you ever find out what the problem is with yours?
+1
Friday, October 10th, 2008 AT 12:59 PM
JAMES W.
Sounds like you lost power to one entire fuse block but, not all these problems come from the same block. Trying not to be redundant but, are you sure your battery is up on charge? If it goes dead overnight, you have a whole other problem.

Yes, I found the problem with mine. I was the crank pos. Sensor.
+1
Saturday, October 11th, 2008 AT 12:46 PM
ELITEPHPCODER
I think that I know what it is. ITs the security system, if the security system is not functioning it will effect my power locks, it will also not allow me to start the car, which means ( I can turnt he headlights on ect).

Im so depressed right now im scared to take it in to get it fixed since it might cost alot of money even if takes them a few minutes to fix it.

The battery has a good charge, I even had someone try to jump me. Its def not the battery, its some kind of main control module that the door locks and ignition system is tied into, which to me makes sense to be the alarm system since its not working either. Even the hadlights are tied into the security system (eg: they blink whent he alarm goes off) so they must be connected to it as well.

What is a common part that goes bad that causes the security system to not function and the car to not start?
-2
Saturday, October 11th, 2008 AT 1:12 PM
JAMES W.
Don't be depressed, we humans don't have time and besides, it won't fix your car.
Lets go back to basics. You might be on the right track. The fuse for the security system is in the trunk fuse panel. F4, red 10 amp. Is it good? If yes, the security module is in the same area. Try unplugging this module and see what happens. Get back to me when you find out.
+5
Saturday, October 11th, 2008 AT 3:30 PM
ELITEPHPCODER
Yah the fuse is good thats the first thing I checked. I also disc the security system ECM which is attached to the gas tank latch and then the red security light came on, on the master lock button so that works. Is there a a relay or ECM some where in the fuse box by the battery?
+1
Saturday, October 11th, 2008 AT 3:47 PM
ELITEPHPCODER
I figured out the problem! It was a relay on the front right fuse box, I removed it and my locks, wipers, blinkers and everything started working.

Then I took a relay with the same number from my trunk fuse box where there is like 4 of them, - im not sure exactly what the one I took out did as the book does not list them and order and only says a color which isnt even right.

I replaced the relay with the one from the trunk and my car starts and runs like normal.
+1
Saturday, October 11th, 2008 AT 5:53 PM
JAMES W.
Nice going. I love it when a good plan comes together. Can you imagine flying a British fighter plane over the English channel knowing it had a "Lucas" wiring system?
Sunday, October 12th, 2008 AT 2:21 PM
ELITEPHPCODER
I wouldnt know since I dont know what a lucas wiring system is.

One thing I can tell you is that im a software developer, and the best software is the least complicated and most direct software, the fasted way from point a to point b = best.

This jags wiring seems way over complicated. Or perhaps it was done this way on purpose to make money selling relays and module parts.
+1
Sunday, October 12th, 2008 AT 4:10 PM
JAMES W.
I don't think you are too far from the truth.
Sunday, October 12th, 2008 AT 8:40 PM
CARLOS WILSON
Good information here, I hope it steers me to where I can fix my similar problem that I am having. My 1995 Jaguar, won't start. I replaced the starter, ECM, battery, my wipers and dome lights are not working, the electric locks aren't working nor are the wipers. I have checked all the fuses, all are good. Nor will it let me put it in neutral. But the tips here have helped me in my trouble shooting. I will replace the crankshaft sensor, which I have on as a sparer. Head lights work, trunk light not working. I paid a shop $800 dollars to fix it, drove it home, and back to not starting.
-1
Friday, November 11th, 2016 AT 7:56 AM
FREDDIE407
I purchased a 1991jaguar xj6 it was park for 2years, in trying to get it start, but it wouldn't star, i've tried with my best shots and no luck
Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 AT 5:43 AM
KEN

We must start by checking if the car has spark and fuel pressure here is a guide that covers everything you need to get started with then we can go from there

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Please run some tests and get back to us we are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 AT 3:47 PM